Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I won't let this beat me.

Well I nearly did let the weather beat me tody. We are still snowed in an it's on the news that they have lost a snow plough in the drifts a couple of miles up the road. I've sulked most of the day at being incarcerated - it's not even possible to walk anywhere - and then finally decided to ride. And I've had a good time too.

Jazz was lovely and in a very sweet and cuddly mood. He did a flying change into counter canter half way down the barn - that is with only 30 or so feet to go before the corner. I walked before the corner, but that's the first time he has done two really neat flying changes into counter canter so easily. Don't forget that he does it after coming out of a 10 metre bend,too.

Radar was as big a dork as he was yesterday. Exactly the same, actually. Flinging himself into trot. He started to rear, taking exception to my contact on his mouth, so I spun him round. I could avoid the rearing by avoiding the contact, but that's no way to train a horse really. I can manage him like that, but what if I had to, or wanted to, sell him and he rears every time he dislikes someone's hands? So I got quite tough on him and after a while he decided that it wasn't a good idea to lift his front feet off the floor. We got some very quite and sensible trot after a while too. I think he is as frustrated about the snow as I am!

Buttie is going to have a lesson in behaviour tomorrow. This morning I opened the barn door and he mowed me down to get out and at the food in the yard. Not acceptable Butkins! Tomorrow he will be made to mind his manners and wait until I tell him he can come out, open door or not. I understand why he is so focussed on food, and he may be little, but he is still too big to be knocking me down in the snow!

C

3 Comments:

At 7:56 PM, Blogger Jean said...

The little ones are always the worst. *G* I think Buttie is suffering from the "small dog" syndrome at the moment. Because he is little he hasn't needed much discipline/training, so you've neglected it a bit. So he's turned into one of those "terror terriers" I've met. *lol*

Jazz is going to be able to work on the tempis come spring, for sure. As soon as he is 100% responsive and accurate to the leg...as he seems to be now...you can start. I'm sure Sonia will set you on track in a lesson or two.

When you can get out again, that is. What a mess to be under that kind of snow. I remember the time the two snow plows got stuck in our road. You couldn't even walk up to see the carnage as the drifts were several feet deep. I agree about the sense of entrapment. Wishing you luck and a speedy escape.

And wishing Radar a more level head about his schooling. I hate rearing. Just be careful, although I am sure you will be.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Ann said...

to lose a huge YELLOW snow plough in WHITE snow???????????? blimey .... you must have leagues of the stuff!

have been jealous of your riding in the snow, now jealous you have a barn to ride in too - I haven't ridden since before xmas :-(

 
At 9:21 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Ten feet up there apparently Ann! Buxton is almost completely cut off. It is so frustrating not to be able to ride, isn't it?

I am so greatful for the barn, I have to say. Living here would be very difficult without it.

Radar seems far too scared to go up too high Jean, he is just protesting about being made to work. It's nothing serious and I'm making it very uncomfortable for him when he tries it, so that he realises what a bad idea it is.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home