Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Bulldozer Butkins

There is no chance of us going anywhere today. There's no more snow coming down but there's a fierce wind blowing snow off the fields and blocking the lane in both directions. The wind is too severe to ride out in and I am still trying to make up my mind whether to ride inside. There's no real reason why not, it's out of the wind. I'd have to tie the door shut-ish because there is too much snow and ice to get the door properly shut. It's metal framed and the ice sticks in the hinge like set concrete.

I gave them the option today of going out or going back into the barn and they were so over-excited. Led by Button they dashed out into the road to see if they could escape. They tried upwards .... blocked. Then Buttie ran downwards, determined to explore the outside of his normal world .......

Have you ever seen a ten hand pony try and bulldozer his way through a five foot snowdrift with his chest? It was so funny I almost fell over :lol: He got about two feet into this drift before he realised that he couldn't simply push it out of the way. By that time, of course, he was stuck at the sides too, and his only option was an ignominious retreat, looking very embarrassed.

The characters on show this morning were wonderful. Jazz was saying "but...but... the barn is open guys, why don't we go inside?" Butkins was saying "escape, escape, I must escape" Radar was saying "um... um.... I want to go with Jazz indoors but I think... I think .... yes, yes, I have to follow Butkins!"

They are in the field for the moment but at minus 2c with a windchill to at least minus 8c, I shall go and fetch them soon.

C

3 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

I am laughing at the thought of a pony stuck in a snow drift. Jazz and Radar must be very amused by this adventurous and assertive little pony.

If we end up back in the intermountain west, Tetley will see temps of -10 or lower, sometimes -20C, though not often.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Jean said...

How embarrassing for Button! I hope when you go out you don't have to dig him out of a drift. If he lept in one, that could be a problem. Wonder if the big boys would rescue him?

Jazz apparently has some common sense. Inside the barn makes much more sense to me. However, as I am not a horse, proper equine logic, as usual, escapes me. All these years with horses and I still can't fathom how they think about things like this. *G*

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

It's very amusing Ml, Buttie doesn't seem to walk anywhere in snow, he just dashes from one place to another. Welcome back. Sorry we haven't got better weather for you.

I think the big boys would just stand and laugh Jean.

I rode them today. Radar took over 45 minutes to do a nice walk, but that was OK, I had nothing better to do! Jazz was lovely. Flying changes. Super canter walk.

no snowblower yet and no chance of getting out until there is one.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home