Off again!
At least I checked before I plaited up this time. Instead of after going to the meet like last time. The hunt was off due to ice, of course :-( But it let me get out on Radar and give him a trot uphill. I chose uphill so that it caused less concussion on his front legs. If that doesn't irritate the splint then he is back in full work from tomorrow. It was a lovely day and we had a nice ride, but he was certainly tired when he got back; he's lost a fair amount of fitness in the last month.
I rode Jazz indoors and he had forgotten ALL his manners! Yanking at my hands, refusing to bend, ignoring my aids to turn off the track and ploughing on forwards etc etc. We had a little "discussion" about it all and he agreed to see it my way and we did get some good trot work and a bit of half pass to the left, which is always the one he finds difficult. He doesn't stay "in" my right hand, which is why he drops the half pass after a few strides. More work needed!
The next hunt is supposed to be New Year's Day. Weatherwise it can't be more than a 25% chance at the moment. At this rate, Radar will be fit to go out by the next time a hunt actually runs!
C

5 Comments:
I was wondering what was going to happen. It didn't sound too promising the other day.
Hate to think of what kind of shape my horses will be in when I can finally ride again...let alone me. It is amazing how much fitness you can lose in a month or so.
Radar should be ready for the next hunt. I was just a little worried about your taking Jazz out anyhow, so this should be much better. What you need under you is a good, solid, reliable hunter and that is definitely not Jazz. *g*
Once more wishing you some good riding weather. We are having some here...a bit windy today...but I'm still out of it. Too bad you can't drop by. I have three horses that could use a bit of work. *lol*
We've just had a fresh snowfall...that's now 9 days since the snow came and froze... and we had a pretty sharp spell of frost before that...I've no sat on a horse since back in Novemeber....managed a few lunge and long rein sessions (including one in the snow) but, I hate to think what my poor muscles are going to ache like when we finally get back to some riding condidtions.... ouch
I'm sure you would just love to be able to work them yourself Jean. I hope it won't be too much longer until you can, and some decent weather to go with it.
Heavy frost here again today Mandeigh. Ice everywhere.
Good news though, Radar has not so far reacted at all to being trotted up a hill - looking good!
What a foul day! I am not staying outside in this, so no-one got ridden and a foot of snow is forecast for tonight. It has already started.
On the good news front, Radar's leg did not react one tiny bit to the trot up the hill he did yesterday, so he is right back on track. A couple of canter workouts and he'll be ready for his first hunt of the New Year. I doubt VERY much if that will be New Year's Day given the forecast!
It's Siberia here this morning. We can't even get out in a pickup truck in low gear 4 wheel drive, the drifts are too high.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home