Boring old road work - not at all!
There was a nice light snowfall last night that replenished my road surface to just what I needed to get the boys out on it again this morning. So both of them have been out down the road and back and had a couple of good canters. I really enjoyed it and they seemed to as well.
Radar's splint is developing new bone so that you can feel the difference quite easily now. It's not bothering him at all and he is perfectly sound, but it has got a little warmth in it. If he starts to feel it at all then I will rest him for a week, but just now there doesn't seem to be any point. He's such fun to hack out, because he is so "forward" in his attitude. He'd always love to be going one gear up from the one we are in but he isn't going to be so bad mannered as to insist.
Poor Jazz has smacked his head. I have no idea how, but Radar's rug is in shreds at a height that Butterball can't reach, so there's some shennanigans going on out in the field and in the barn overnight - tetchy are we Jazz?? Too cold for you, or not enough work to do???? Anyway, he has a nasty set of marks over the top of his right eye socket and a fair amount of swelling. A bit like Mike Tyson has smacked him one in the eye. He hasn't broken anything because in spite of the swelling he will let me press it gently without bothering much. A lucky escape, I would say.
Butkins is gorgeous right now. Clean all the time because of the weather and very furry all the time because of the cold. He loves a roll in the snow and he digs away at it industriously to get to the grass underneath. You can see just how this breed survive an Orkney winter.
C.

5 Comments:
The shredded blanket is a good clue. Horse games for sure. Too bad Jazz got the worst of it, at least for now.
Such fun to gallop off in the snow when you know the ground underneath is safe and level. The road sounds perfect, but, is it ever going to stop snowing over your way???
Buttie is a cutie. Gotta love him, even from afar.
Forecast is sub zero for at least another week Jean. It might not snow too much, but what we have is going nowhere. Since the new policy not to grit, the lorry will be going nowhere until there has been a thaw for at least 24 hours, if not more. So no lessons or hunting for a while......
I hope you are back in the saddle soon.
C
I know what you mean about clean horses; Tetley is mud free with very a shiny coat! I wish we had as much snow as you so we could ride on it.
I can remember galloping Scooby up the lanes one day ML, so I must have had Tetley, but I've no recollection of ever riding him in snow. Isn;t that strange?
C
Not a nice day today and the boys worked yesterday so I didn't ride. The snowblower has been out again and it looks like more of the same tomorrow.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home