Different horse, same colour.
Three months ago.
Three months later. He is a little fatter than he was, but not much. I can still feel his ribs without too much trouble. But he has packed on muscle with his work like there's no tomorrow! It explains to me why he had so much trouble learning to cope with his own body.
I find the additional chest muscle (enormous!) very interesting, and the strength of his back and general topline absolutely thrilling. He is not too upright on the front pasterns, it's just that the yard slopes a bit and it's the way he's standing. That neck is ALL neck, his mane is thinner than most TBs, never mind a draft cross - luckily for me and plaiting for hunting. And boy oh boy WHAT a hunter, eh?
C

14 Comments:
He sure does look good - fit and healthy and it looks as though his proportions have changed - butt not as high and front more developed.
Hi Caroline, it's been a while!
I've spent the last two days catching up with your blog. Oh how things change. The sh*tland is adorable and i'm loving your new boy. Is his name really Radar? what do you shorten it to??
I've just been given a 6yo TB gelding. He was thrown out in the field in April after the point to point season. He's poor as anything but i'm sure good food and tlc will see him right. He's apparently a gent which is what i'm after (robin mark II). I've also given up dreams of eventing, i'm too aware of how breakable I am to be able to ride positively enough into the fences. Sad but another chapter with dressage and a bit of SJ and hunting i hope will beckon. Out of interest what are you feeding Radar? anything in particular to build him up?
Anyway, i'm pleased i've found your blog again and look forward to seeing how your new project goes :-)
Cassie
Phwooaaaaaar...he's a babe..and a totally different horse to the first pic!
Radar looks great! Definite musculature now and I can see he has broadened, even from the side view. He really is a good looking fellow. He's more "Thoroughbreddy" than I had expected, after not seeing him for a while, so that gives him a much more athletic appearance. (Much heavier boned than the average TB, but still with that "look" to him)
And who is that handsome devil poking his head out the door? Eh? Two gorgeous boys with only one little fuzzball missing from the portrait. I'm surprised BT wasn't poking his nose into the photo session.
Cassie did you have to have Vigo put down? His name is Radar now but it was Sonny, which I didn't like and Starlight in his passport which is just fine for a small black pony but not a huge brown horse!
He's half TB Jean, and he's the best of an ID/TB corss - picking up the best half of each breed, particularly the Draft brain, thank goodness. I think the fuzzball had his nose in an interesting bucket at the time.
I'm stunned about the front half development Kate, you expect the backside to muscle up, but I've never seen such a change in a chest before!
He's quite a boy, isn't he Mandeigh. I'm chuffed to bits with him.
C
cross not corss :-)))
Gad, he looks FANTASTIC!! I just LOVE before and after shots - they give you that warm feeling inside :-) Topline and quarters are just gorgeous now, aren't they - and he can really stand under himself - what a babe!
nah - not the same horse - you switched neds :-)
seriously tho he looks fab - just love the way his chest has come out, the topline and 1/4s are looking great - testament to good care and decent riding!
Ann
And hills Ann, they do half my work for me :-)
C.
Not yet Caroline but he and Robin will be put down in September sort of time or sooner if Robin tells me he's ready.
Robin earnt his retirement, but Vigo is only hanging around as his job is keeping Robin company.
Cassie
ah - hills, theyre just great arent they? we have slopes here in Devon, just takes a bit longer!
I've noticed the difference in my new kid, he's been here 10 weeks now and is slowly filling out - his chest need to "pop" like Radars!
http://itsabugslife-ann.blogspot.com/
(I must get some up-to-date pics!)
What a shame for you Cassie, two in a row like that. You deserved a break after Robin's long term problems, not a horse with even more issues. I hope your "gift horse" is giving you a lot of pleasure.
I'll take a look at your blog Ann.
C
Only just stopped drooling to say wow, Radar is certainly a beefcake now
Am muchly jealous
and wish i had hills, apart from ones i have to drive to, stupid Wiltshire!
He's certainly more of a horse than he was when he arrived, Sarah. And looking like he was VERY seriously underpriced at £3000! I like him an awful lot, I have to say. I could have done a lot, lot worse finding a replacement for Zippy.
Hills are a godsend. I haven't ridden him for several days but he'll stay fit just walking up and down his own field.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home