Friday, June 05, 2009

What a mix-up!

I rang Zippy's new owner this morning because I was concerned that I have not had any notification of when he will be picked up. He doesn't belong to me any more and I am anxious not to have repsonsibility for him for much longer. She has everything sorted out from him being in Cadiz on Wednesday for onward transfer to Tetnerife. She had arranged for him to be got to Cadiz for then. Or so she thought. But the transport company have let her down completely and now we do not know either who is taking Zippy or when they will collect him. What a mess. If I hadn't already been paid for him I'd have been very stressed by now!

I was too fraught this morning to any justice to Jazz (quite the reverse, and I'm not risking picking a fight with him when he is going SO well!). But I did take Radar out on a new ride up to the fields for a canter. He was eyes-on-stalks and very twitchy, but he is easy to send forward to go past dangerous things like new lambs hiding in trees to jump out and eat a horse. You know the kind?

We had two lovely canters. On the way there, he crossed two streams and opened and closed a chained up gate without me getting off, which was very good of him. There were times when he relaxed and was extremely comfortable to be on. (It bodes very well for hunting. :-) And there were times when he dropped the left hand side of his back so badly that the saddle slipped right over. He does that a lot, and I have to work at keeping him straight. It's connected to him not wanting to bring his right (opposite side) shoulder forward. He was much straighter on the way home, which will have done the muscle development of his weaker side a lot of good.

I hope to be calm enough to ride Jazz tomorrow.

C

7 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Why do such companies mess things up like that? So sorry for both you and Zip's new "mom." How frustrating. Hope it sorts out quickly.

Yes, horse eating lambs would be a horror--if my horses saw them for sure. My horses have, to my knowledge never even seen a sheep let alone a vicious "attack lamb." What a terrifying sight! *lol* I love Radar's positive attitude about going on regardless. It does bode well for hunting.

Time and gymnasitic will even him out. Just remember it will take a bit longer because he was free to be crooked for a good number of years on his own as he grew up.

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

At least she knows he is being well taken care of in the meantime. It is so strange to think that he has no idea of what is about to happen.

Your ride on Radar sounds very promising with the gate opening, riding past horse eating lambs etc. I tend to show off Tetley's gate skills at every opportunity. He's a champ at that!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

He is now leaving on Tuesday, so I have to keep him wrapped in cotton wool until then.....

Sheep mob horses when you ride through a field of them Jean, it can be very frightening, genuinely, to have 100 sheep chasing you across a field.

Tetley got a lot of practice with gates ML !!!

C

 
At 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very annoying about the transport difficulties!

Being mobbed by sheep sounds alarming! Radar seems to be coming along - and so brave and bold to do all those things!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Kate I wouldn't call Radar brave or bold, but he is very easily persuaded to do what I tell him is safe, even if he himself thinks it's dangerous. He will make a fantastic hunter and if I want to event again has just the right attitude to keep us both safe.

C.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger Claire said...

they must have them well trained here then as we often have to ride through fields of sheep (or cows) and not been mobbed....

glad zip's transport got sorted out, what a nightmare all round. i take it no one will be recommending THAT company to anyone....

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger cptrayes said...

It was a BIG name too Claire!

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home