Monday, June 15, 2009

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I took Jazz out for a whiz on the hilltop today. I had forgotten how fast he is! He took off like a rocket and caught me unawares for a moment or two. I must take him for a gallop more often, he did so-o-o-o enjoy himself :-))) He goes hell for leather, then when he stops he is immediately calm, as if nothing unusual has been going on. Other horses can be on their toes for minutes. One I had once was dreadful - I gave up cantering on open ground in the end because as soon as he had done it, he would not walk again for the rest of the ride, no matter how long I kept him out for. I kept him 4 years trying to work him out, but I hated him in the end, he was interested in no-one but himself :-(((

I schooled Radar today too, and he took some time to settle into a few walk serpentines. He was then a bit argumentative in the trot, saying "I can't believe you think I can trot a circle without throwing my head around the place!". But he could, and he did, eventually. He is getting better every time, but he is definitely very slow to learn. He is still sadly lacking in rhythm and balance, and does tend to panic when he isn't sure where to put his feet, the silly boy. He backs off the bit big time and then when sent forward he runs for it. To find a happy medium takes some time, but when he does it there is enormous promise in his huge and elastic movement. He's going to be a very comfortable ride, that's already clear.

Butkins has slept most of the day, especially while the others were working. He came to beg for his usual chest-rub, just like a dog asks you to scratch its tummy. I just can't resist him when he does that, it's so sweet!


Both Jazz and Radar have outgrown their saddles and need a bigger gullet plate. Thankfully, Jazz needs the one which will be coming out of Radar's, so I have only had to spend £30 on one for Radar. Another pat on the back for the adjustability of WOW saddles.


C

5 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

Jazz's quiet after a rollicking gallop reminds me of Tetley being completely calm after a startle. He can jump and the next split second he is on a totally loose rein and I am back to day dreaming (out for a hack). I don't really gallop Tetley but we will canter fast in a field and he is totally calm afterwards (usually). So nice to be able to do that.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Yes, he's just like Tetley in that respect, he was the same. Nice isn't it???

C

 
At 1:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How nice that Jazz likes to gallop, but that will then come back to you and relax! My mare, once she gets up, has trouble relaxing and coming back down - it's something we're working on.

Radar sounds like he has lots of potential, but just has to grow into himself.

I'm enjoying your updates!

 
At 5:03 AM, Blogger Jean said...

Russell R. used to be like that. PJ wasn't too bad, and Toby is pretty good. But I doubt any one of them would have been good in the hunt field--well, maybe Russell. They get a little too rowdy in company. Haven't tried Tucker and I may never. He's scary enough in the arena! *G*

Radar is making good progress. It may seem slow, but it's very solid, so time doesn't matter. What a fun boy he is turning out to be.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger cptrayes said...

New pix of Radar going up in a minute Kate, astonishing change!

I don't think you'd get me on Tucker on a hunt Jean :-))

C.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home