Tuesday, June 02, 2009

He passed

He passed of course, why wouldn't he? I feel like I'm about to make the biggest mistake of my life selling him. Right horse wrong time. More later, out to eat icecream to console myself :-)

BACK AGAIN

Feeling better now! Raspberry and toffee crunch, made on the farm from cows milked in the barn just outside the door - scrumptious.

It hit me just as I was leading him away from the xray room and suddenly I just wanted to cry. Having talked it all through, it isn't so much the selling of him now, it's that it's the final nail in the coffin of my eventing hopes and dreams. He was my event superstar in the making. He was so obviously going to be right up the leader board after the dressage that all I had to do was jump a double clear to be in the points. And then he turned out to hate jumping.

If Jazz had been sellable, it would have been a very hard decision to make between the two of them. I love Jazz's personality. But Zippy's independence from humans, dominance and aloofness leave me cold. For example, if you stand in a stable with Jazz or Radar, they will always come to you and be touching you. If you stand in Zippy's stable he will stay wherever he was when you went in.

Zip is the far better horse if we are talking Grand Prix dressage. On the other hand, Jazz is perfectly capable of Grand Prix movements, and I feel better on him than on Zip. So if I don't intend to compete GP, just to school the movements, then Jazz is the "better" horse. Besides which, the ornery creature is entirely unsellable for the kind of money I have sold Zippy for (full asking price, by the way!).

Radar is a no-brainer, he is turning out to be exactly what we wanted. Once Zippy has caught his bus to Tenerife, I am sure that I am going to settle down to a lovely summer with the two big boys and little Buttie Butkins. Radar's first competition on Sunday, let's look forward to that, eh?

C

14 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ice cream is good at a time like this. You know he's going somewhere good, and if the time is wrong, he isn't the right horse for you now.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Jean said...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Wrong time for him in your life, I fear. We've already been over this. He didn't make you happy.

Jazz makes you laugh. Radar makes you feel free.

Zip demanded excellence and precision from you. His talent is high maintenance.

I am glad he passed, not so much for the sale, but for his sake. It is really nice to hear he is a good, sound, young horse with a bright future in front of him.

Just let them know that should his new owner ever decide to sell, you get the right of first refusal.

*HUGS* have some ice cream for me too.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Thanks chaps, ice cream was definitely the right answer. I think the combination that I chose, raspberry and toffee crunch were of great therapeutic value.

C

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Claire said...

and in the future, when watching an olympics that he's competing in, you can say that you had a very big hand in the making of him... you never know, you might get an invite LOL!

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Claire said...

oh, and raspberries go exceedingly well with crushed maltesers as well (with also ice cream or cream...)

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Mmmm .... it'll have to be the trainer on his back I think, not the buyer....

Crushed malteser ice cream - I think I should suggest that one to them - although they already do 40 flavours so they may not have room for another!


C

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Claire said...

i was thinking more crush the maltesers, put the raspberries over and then pour cream/ice cream over! but i guess maltesers IN raspberry flavour icecream would be as good!

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Judith said...

It is good that he passed and your should feel pleased that you spotted his potential and were able to bring it out and sell him into hands that should be able to make the best of him.

If his previous owners had kept him what would he be doing now? Be happy.

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Raspberry and chocolate ice cream is my favorite. There is a US company that makes a blend. But plain black raspberry ice cream with an added scoop of chocolate.....yum. Your ice cream sounds too luscious for words!

It's pretty clear your heart and your head made the choice together about Zip. He is one of those regal horses who may never quite bond with a human--or perhaps not until someone worships him first. I think he will thrive as a young rider's up and coming dressage star. Adulation and pink glitter will win his ego just fine.

Jazz has too much character for that kind of life. And he adores you. After all, who else would put up with all his nonsense? I am sure he has Grand Prix potential should you ever want to "go there" competitively. And if not, and you are like me, then training him to that level will be more than satisfaction enough.

Zip not only didn't like to jump, he also had no sense of self preservation over fences, as I recall. No matter what you tried, he would always end up letting you down at least a little. Meanwhile, Radar will fill your jumping urges just fine until you come to your senses and give up all that galloping around cross country stuff...(like this "oldster" has). *LOL* Then, I have a feeling he will prove to have more than enough talent on the flat to keep your training brain at full function trying to get him to become a Grand Prix Horse too. I have a feeling he may well surprise you some day. He certainly has the brain for it.

Just keep tabs on Zip's progress for us if you can. Does he have a registered name to show under or are they going to give him one? It would be fun to see if he shows up in any competition results as time goes on.

Give him a goodbye hug from me, even though he's not "into" hugs. *G*

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Mandeigh said...

Well thats that then! Phew, what a rollercoaster.

I can't wait to hear more about Radar's competition exploits, and as for Jazz, I just knew you would end up getting hooked on dressage sooner or later, make a big difference having a horse that's 'got the moves'

At least you have a new holiday destination ;-)

Big Hug and have more ice cream!

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

I'm pretty happy now thanks Judith.

Mmmm small volcanic island, long journey, big expense, or no expense, look out the window at the views other people pay megabucks to come and see...... Difficult decision Mandeigh :-)

She isn't young Jean, or particularly proficient a rider. The trainer is the star rider. I am secretly hoping that she lets the trainer compete him, but whatever happens he will be exceptionally well cared for and treated as a Prince - and he will love that, and that's all that really matters in the end.

MORE ice cream? I'll need a bigger horse than Radar if I eat any more ice cream :-)

C

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all happens for a reason, im pleased he passed and has such great home. Just think you turned a rather gangly unkempt youngster who not many people would look twice at intially into a jet setting possibly Grand Prix horse not bad going!
Oh I thought I was the only one who did the crushed maltesers on icecream, vanilla carte dor is my choice-heaven.Go on try it ...:)

Nicola

 
At 2:24 AM, Blogger Jean said...

Ah. Somehow I got the impression the new owner was young...maybe it was the pink glitter??? *lol*

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

He did move exceptionally well even though he was a weedy little thing Nicola - anyone with eyes for a horse could see he was special. After all, I broke my lifetime rule of never buying a horse that wasn't ready to ride when I bought him, so his potential must have been pretty obvious even though he did look like a yearling!

Pink glitter = youth - an easy mistake to make Jean :-)

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home