Friday, July 28, 2006

Made it worse!

The Sudocrem caused Caddy's cut to swell and weep :-( :-( It's a lot better now I've got it off again. It's a shame because it is fly repellent - it's 1% benzyl benzoate, which is what I spray on Tetley to stop the midges irritating his tail. But it seems to cause any open wound on a horse to weep - I use it on Tia to soften the scabs on the mud fever from the boot rubs. 10 minutes after putting it on they are soggy and easy to scrape off. No good for cuts though, obviously :-( Caddy's stitches won't be coming out tomorrow now, they'll have to wait until it has all sealed up again.

Tia and I went up to try and find the cows but they have been moved to another field. It's a darned good job I didn't walk up with her as I originally planned. It's a long steep climb and it's a very hot day and I would have been MOST disgruntled to have got all that way and found I had done it for no reason.

We did some schoolng on rough ground instead. When she loses her balance she drops her shoulders, sticks her nose out and sets her mouth on the bit. She takes considerable persuasion and a constant "fiddle" on the bit to stop her doing it. When I say fiddle, I mean that I am responding to her constant shoulder wriggle and rearrangement of her contact with the bit, putting it back where it should all be, every second or so! She did some lovely work after a while. It wasn't perfect of course, but you could tell what an effort she was making not to dump herself onto her forehand. As long as she tries, that's all I want, not perfection she isn't capable of giving yet.

Tetley needs work for his waistline but I had no more energy left after Tia, so he got put on the lunge again and worked while I stood still. He seems to be moving very well indeed, as well as I have seen him do this year. He will halt, walk, trot and canter on command. Since he was never lunged when I broke him I'm really surprised how easily he has learnt it at ten.

It took only a week for him to return to total soundness after the farm ride and jumping. And most people would have said he was sound days ago. So I am very, very pleased with him. If the ground was not like concrete I would take him out to some riding club events, but it won't be fun for either of us as it is at the moment.

Tia and he are scoffing their minerals. Caddy is kicking his all over the stable and then eating the cubes out of the shavings one by one. It takes a loooooooong time to eat 4 kilos of food that way. Before you have horrors at feeding 4 kilos in only one feed, racing TB's are routinely fed those quantities and he kicks up a fuss if I only give him 3! I am holding off measuring him because I don't want to disappoint myself if I'm wrong, but it looks to me as if his front end has come up in height. He has certainly got a lot more substance on his bum, which used to be an A shape and is beginning now to round up a bit. Another week or two and a photo will be worth showing I think.

C.

7 Comments:

At 5:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi C, put aloe vera gel on the scar. I've never had any white hair grow on a scar after using Aloe, and its also fly repellent.

Good luck at the next event

Tracey B

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi

a good thing to put on a wound/scar is SWAT by farnam. it is a bright pink cream, which has healing and fly-repellenting properties.

AQll ur horses have bright pinbk ears, and under eyes pink circles to keep the flies away.

Hope it helps!

We have our WOW saddle. it is great. i can really feel Linda moving. her canter is even more comffy.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Claire said...

green oils are usually good as well - again, though, when they don't melt!

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Jean said...

My ointment for wounds that need protecting but no bandaging is zinc oxide ointment (Desitan here in the US.) But SWAT is good too to keep the flies away. Funny how horsemen all seem to have doctoring expertise! *G*

Glad to know you now see Tia's efforts as aims to please. Some Thoroughbreds get frantic trying to do the right thing and fall completely to pieces in all the effort. Some get really resistent and buck or rear in frustration. Some shut off entirely and refuse to do anything. You "train" lots of horses. With Thoroughbreds, you "explain." *l*

No rain there yet? We keep getting drenched in thunderstorms. I can't mow the grass because it's always wet when I have the time to do it.

 
At 7:17 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

I've run out of Aloe Vera!!!!! Do you know that in proper trials it made horses' skin grow one whole third faster than without it???? Fantastic stuff, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal (great for ringworm), anti-biotic and makes skin grow too. I love it.

Muriel I am so relieved that you and Linda really like your saddle. I would have felt guilty for encouraging you if you'd hated it!

SWAT is US only I think, I've never seen it in the UK, has anyone else?

Claire green oils seems to be more difficult to find around here too, is it the same where you are?

Jean, the funny thing about the Sudocrem reaction is that it is almost all zinc oxide. Having said that, lots of humans are allergic to zinc oxide and when you give blood they have two types of plasters and ask you if you can take zinc oxide or not. It seems I have had at least 2 (Scooby and Caddy for definite) maybe 3 (Tia's scabs "melt" remarkably if I put it on) who react badly to Sudocrem and one, Casper, who had no problem at all with it. He had a huge wound in a leg and I stuffed it full of it and it healed totally scarless.

I solved Caddy's problem with a six inch piece of plaster strip from the medecine cupboard in the bathroom! It worked a treat, stayed on 24 hours and it looks a whole lot better again now.

No other reports today, I have been out acting as groom and backup for a friend at Tetton Horse Trials.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

C.

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Claire said...

so far as i know green oils are available with no difficulty. shall i put some in the post to you (next time I can drive, of course!!! to go get some!)

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

It's OK thanks Claire. I found Holland and Barrett's Aloe when I couldn't get green oils and now I prefer it. Thanks for the offer though.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home