Coming from all sides
First the news you're all on tenterhooks for. Tetley is definitely a bit off this morning. It's not a lot. It wouldn't stop me taking him for a hack if he didn't need the day off, but it is there. So I think it would be unwise to consider doing anything more than a little local stuff this year. But heck, that is far more than any of us thought he would be doing yet, and I'm not unhappy. I'm also more settled to just know, if you know what I mean. I have more problems with uncertainty than with a less than perfect reality.
Then there was Hollow Legs. He came in with a slice wound 7 inches long across the point of his shoulder. It wasn't bleeding or serious, but it would have made a really nasty scar right where it would be seen all the time. And he is so thin skinned that it would always show. So I have just waved off the vet, who has done a great job of stitching it tight together to prevent the scar. She sedated him but she didn't give him anaesthetic in the wound because she finds that it affects the resulting scar when the wound is that long. She only sedated him with a 2/3 dose because I told her he was so quiet. Even that had him buckling at the knees and threatening to go down on the concreat yard :-0. He is currently asleep in the stable but he can go back out tonight when the flies have gone.
I went to find out what he'd done it on and found a number of sharp points on bits of metal plasterrer's-corner, which we used several years ago to stop a horse I had then from eating the field shelter. I've stripped it all off now, which I should have done ages ago, obviously. That's one of the advantages (not) of TB's which I had forgotten. If you have anything at all that they can hurt themselves on they will, and their reaction will always be a cut where other horses get a scratch.
Tia is the only one in completely one piece, touch wood. I will be schooling her for half an hour tomorrow after her week's break. I did her feet and they are looking very sweet. And small!
C
ps at the moment I can't respond to your comments so forgive me I am not ignoring them. I'll try again.

2 Comments:
A little soreness is to be expected with Tetley, and I'm also not surprised that he's a little off as well. Still, it was worth a try and, as you say, it's better to know for sure than just keep guessing.
Thoroughbreds. Yes, if there's a place to get hurt, they'll find it. Tukcer has a scar on his front pastern from a parture injury at the adoption place before I got him. They never did quite find out where he did it.
I am watching the fence bordering my arena being demolished. I had put up two corral panels to temporarily fill in the gap from one broken post. Now "The Boys" have decided it's a great place to play "fence," (bite at each other over the fence, scoring rules depend on who gets whom) and this morning one of the other posts was split and the third post leaning over pulled all the way out of the ground.
Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me with the post hole digger. The ground there is kind of sandy, so digging should be easy. Or else, this old lady can hire some young strapping sons of a friend to do the work....h-m-m-m-m-m. Thoroughbred boys a frolicking. Nothing like it.
They just don't like to see you with nothing to do Jean :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home