Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Dorkus dorkius again :-)

Radar is such a berk! I thanked my lucky stars again today that he isn't wanted for dressage. We were schooling indoors because of the drizzly weather, a space which you may remember is 90 feet by 36 ft, 28 metres by less than 11 metres. He gets half way up the long side in an uncommitted trot, realises that he is going to have to work out where to put his feet to turn the bend at the end and ....... stops to think things through?.......slows to take the bend steadily?........blows his top and bolts into the end wall? Yup, the last one.

What size is his brain? Certainly not a walnut, maybe a peanut. It took me 45 minutes to get him to take a nice trot and trot a circuit on each rein. Meanwhile, he ran into the wall more times than I can count. I rang the changes a few times by hauling him in the teeth instead, but basically I just had to wait until his poor fried brain caught up with his feet. Once he had it, he had it, and gave me some quiet transitions and some very reasonable, relaxed trot. What an idiot he is. I have never, ever had a horse take sooooooooooooo long to learn to manage his own body and brain!

Jumbo meanwhile did one superb right to left flying change in that tiny space and one really good attempt at left to right. I couldn't help remembering that when we were riding inside at the end of the winter he was only just getting to grips with canter to walk. His canter/walk now is sublime. All I have to do is stop my seat from cantering, and he drops immediately into a walk. It brings a smile to your face.

I put them in the barn, where they have stayed during the day for the summer. I forgot to shut the outside gate, but when I checked them two hours later, they were still happily munching haylage inside. Well actually Butterkist was asleep, as normal!

C

5 Comments:

At 11:30 PM, Blogger Jean said...

The big question will be whether or not Radar remembers how to take the corner the next time you ride him inside. It's one thing to be slow about learning something, but if there's no retention, that's another story.

I do feel sorry for him when he gets all flustered. You'd think a sense of self-preservation would kick in at some point. Again, just goes to show what happens when a horse is deprived as a youngster and just not offered enough challenges.

Jazz is in his element, that's for sure. And yes, it wasn't that long ago when you didn't even try to canter inside and now....flying changes!

So, Button has retired from training already? At least he's getting is beauty sleep. *G*

 
At 1:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is small - no wonder the poor thing has trouble navigating the corners! Good luck with that!

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Claire said...

at least it's bigger than the one i have now...and it's indoors, LOL.

but what IS he like... he'll possibly improve over the winter as you do more inside - i guess you'd like to think so!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

I had to laugh at the thought of Radar stopping to think things through.

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

He's been in there three times now Jean and is no better each time. He certainly isn't an advert for barn-reared youngstock, is he? I never agreed with it before and I doubly don't agree with it now!

I've had three bigger horses than him handle it with no problems like he has Kate. He is such a panicker!

He's a card Claire, so daft he's sweet!

Mmmm, stop and think is not quite "him" is it ML? I recall Tetlet behaving the same way as a four year old - once, or maybe twice. Radar just doesn't get it!

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home