Saturday, September 12, 2009

No sleep tonight!

Oh dear, how on earth am I going to sleep tonight? I can't close my mouth for grinning and my head is spinning. Radar was awesome. I had him under control all the time, and although he tried a few times to get away, he couldn't. We have galloped and galloped and had just the greatest time in the brilliant sunshine.

After a while I couldn't see the point of not trying a few jumps and he has done several straightforward hunt fences at about 2ft 9, and a couple of very narrow things set into hedgelines. When he jumps, he sets his eyes on the fence and there is simply no way that he is going to stop unless I force him. If the ground is uneven he goes early and jumps huge but very safely.

We forded the river four times and had some scrambles up and down muddy banks and ditches and he coped with it all. Twice, he tried to take me over hedges that other people were jumping. He was really begging to be allowed to do them. Next week maybe!

He does jog a bit, though less than last week. And he shuffles around a bit at checks, but nothing too wild and I think that will lessen with time too. We were out for four hours and have had the time of our lives.

He was wonderful, everything that we ever hoped he would be when we bought him.

C.

8 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger Claire said...

YAY! good news indeed.

maybe he can do the odd event in due course as well?

 
At 7:57 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Sensational! What a change from last week. I would guess he will settle in at the checks after a while, especially if all the other horses are calm and cool. Otherwise, just keep circling him round and round in a little circle at the walk until he realizes jigging, shuffling and jogging gets him nowhere at all.

Super about the jumps. The trick for now will be not to overface him. I'm sure he has a huge jump in him, but he needs to learn a little judgement about how and when to take off. Once he gets some mileage, he is going to be the best!

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger sarahh said...

I am smiling for you, sounds wonderful
:-)

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Ann said...

phew - I was afraid there would be a repeat performance! some settle to hunting, and others get worse not better.

nice one ;-)

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

Finally! What fantastic fun! It looks like you sized up the situation correctly as to what equipment you needed. Radar is probably grinning too but I bet he will sleep well. You guys are partners in fun.

 
At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How great that you both had a wonderful time - glad you stuck with it!

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

I'm off to bed, I'm shattered! SH and I are both so absolutely relieved that we bought the right horse!

I think after another couple of runs he will be just superb.

Night night folks!

C

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Judith said...

Great news. I was thinking about you, and wondering how you were getting on. It was certainly a lovely, lovely day yesterday.

Glad all the tack changes worked out, and as for the jumping. Clever boy Radar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home