Oh well tried Jazz
I have just come in from schooling Jazz. He warmed up well in walk but in trot he was rythmically pulling at my hands, as he often does at home. For some reason, he does not seem to do this at Sonia's and I am trying to work out why. Anyway, I sent him on to stop him doing it, and got him straight which was also part of the issue. Then I did a very-slow-trot/medium-trot alternation that Sonia taught me. That went very well indeed and he produced a lovely slow trot and some of the best medium he has ever been able to do at home in 40 metres. He tried to keep breaking into canter but I am able to bring him back in one stride and then send him strongly on again, until he gets the idea that I want "more trot" not canter.
After a rest we tried some walk to canter, and I was aware for the first time of just how much my bum is staying in contact with the saddle right through the canter stride. This is a new thing for me and I credit it partly to the deeper seat and bigger knee rolls that I got recently. The canter walk is bang on. Such a sudden drop from canter in a forward walk it almost catches me by surprise!
Then we tried a flying change right to left and got it immediately. I put him in counter canter on a circle and he tried extremely hard to reproduce it from left to right. I was VERY pleased with his efforts. The timing was a little off, but he is really giving it his all.
What a good boy he was.
C

4 Comments:
Good news about your sitting in the saddle. It takes a while to get the hang of really sitting there, but once you do, it makes a big difference in how the work progresses.
What a good boy Jazz is being about all of this. I think he really enjoys learning how to use himself well. I'm glad. He needed the right job in life.
He did love hunting too Jean, but I don't think he really misses it. Radar, on the other hand, is really not into schooling at all!
C
I knew you would get excited about dressage in the end!
Nice one!
"Excited" is rather a strong word Mandeigh :-) And it's easier to get very up about what Jazz can do when I am still high as a kite from what Radar DID do.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home