SEVEN :-0 !!!
I'm a walking hardware store! I have SEVEN screws in my arm. I saw them today on the xray. That was a shock.
I saw the Registrar and not the Consultant, which was a measure of how little concern they have about it. The x-ray from today showed clearly that there was a piece of bone about an inch long taken away because it was detached and would just have died. Unfortunately, new bone does not show on x-rays and there is no way of telling whether that gap is now closed, or closing, or not doing anything. He didn't seem at all surprised about how well I had healed. I think having seen me before and after the operation, they just expected it.
Riding. Mmmm. Well of course he has no option but to completely protect his own back, and ban me from riding, and so he tried. I did get through to him in the end that this is an addiction and that not riding at all is not an option. I tried to get him to discuss splinting it, but he wouldn't, for fear that I took it to be approval of my plan to ride. After a bit of explanation and questionning I did manage to get him to tell me the risks.
The first is that the elbow joint will calcify if overstressed. I feel this risk is now absolutely minimal. I have no swelling and no heat in my elbow joint, but I do have full mobility and he says I am allowed to use it "normally". I don't see that riding will give it any more stress than picking up the kettle - I have taught all my horses to be light in the contact so they aren't pulling at my elbow at all.
The other risk is that I will break my arm again. If this happens it will break at the end of the plate, and that could be a complete mess. There appears to be no risk of loosening or weakening the plate, just of breaking the bone. Well that's not going to happen unless I fall off. And it would be very difficult to break it with the splint on even if I do fall off. The risk of falling off is tiny as long as I don't jump or pick a fight with Jazz. None of my horses are buckers, and none of them are silly if they haven't been ridden for a while.
So, I'm an adult, and though I would not recommend this to anyone else, I intend to ride with my splint on this Friday morning. It's that or go off my rocker!
I'm off the the UK Association of Natural Hoofcare Practitioners conference tomorrow to hear the world's no. 1 researcher into horse feet speak. It should be good. I'll see you Friday after I've been on George for half an hour!
C

14 Comments:
Good grief, woman. 'Nough said.
I have, fortunately been cured of my addiction. I think it's age and having reached a high competitive level, so it's kind of "been there, done that." I do have an ambition to train a Grand Prix horse, of course, but if I don't, that's OK too.
However, when I broke my wrist, I was still in addiction mode and it was really hard to obey doctor's orders and stay out of the saddle for 6 weeks. I was able to long line, though, so I managed to keep my sanity to some degree.
That said, do be careful. Seven screws and missing bone are not something to forget. The elbow should be OK, but pay attention to any pain it gives you.
I will worry, as any "Mom" would, but I also know you are of strong will and there is no way to deter you. So I will leave you with the comment my mother made to me just about every time I left the house to go ride, "Be careful with those darn horses."
Look forward to reading about the conference! at least it will keep you out of mischief for a couple of days!
There is a very big difference from when you broke your wrist Jean. My arm has been plated and is obviously stronger than the bone would be. He was only afraid of me breaking it at the end of the plate, not of the plate bending, loosening or breaking.
Well, breaking it again could happen tomorrow, or next month or next year - what difference does it make when I start to ride??
That's the plan Mandeigh. By Friday it will be a whole lot stronger. I'm borrowing a friend's magnetic horse boots to put on it at night :-)
C.
Gotcha about the plate. I still worry. You are not the woman you used to be. Keep this up and you will be bionic! *G*
Just use good judgement, that's all. As long as the whole thing doesn't pull apart. And do protect that elbow.
I should think the magnets will help. The theory of what they do certainly suggests they will.
Agree about my wrist as well. With the fixed cast it was really stable too, but the break was right at the joint and it was important it stayed aligned and didn't shift. With a metal plate and 7 screws, that's not too likely to happen. *G*
not worrying! Caroline has to do what Caroline wants to do ^-^
Honestly there is no point to argue with you C.
Smart idea about the magnetic boot!
Have a great conference as M says it will keep you out of mischief ^-^
iT'S NICE TO KNOW YOU ALL CARE THOUGH mURIEL :-)
Ooops, caps lock was on :-)
The registrar did promise to let you all have a picture of it next time - he seemed to be a bit thrilled that loads of people were going to view his handywork!
BYE! See you Friday folks.
C
Glad to know all is well Caroline. Can you ride in your "splint?"
Just be careful!
Someone on the Horse & Hound forum posted the most wonderful full colour pictures of all their broken bones, only I couldn't ever find it again.It was last autumn time.
I think their horse had reared and slipped on frostly ground and gone overbackwards, and the scan pictures (CT??)clearly showed the broken pelvis, collar bone and ribs! Everyone raved about the pictures.
What sort of pin-up picture to have!
Take care and have fun.
Judith
completely mad! but hey. and of course you could break the bone in some other place whilst not riding a horse - e.g. by slipping and falling badly.
course, you could ride one handed - keep the hand holding the reins centred over the wither/base of neck and there you go. will improve your seat no end, i should have thought!
oooo, I'm going to the same conference tomorrow - I'll make sure I say hello, you being the easy one to identify at the moment!!!
Tracey B
Oi! What about the conference?
Any good/ Anything new? Interesting in the barefoot department?
Gissa chance Muriel, it's ten at night and I've only just got home :-) ! The conference was really interesting, I'll try and distil a couple of important points tomorrow.
Tracey it was really good to meet you. I still think you can't plait a half Andalucian :-)
///and of course you could break the bone in some other place whilst not riding a horse - e.g. by slipping and falling badly.///
Quite, Claire - the fact that it will be a real problem if I ever break it again doesn't mean that it's any more unsafe to ride tomorrow than it will be to ride next year, or cross the road tomorrow!
Judith, yes the splint is perfect for riding in and I suspect that I will be competing in it for the rest of the season.
Ooooh, I can't wait to get on George tomorrow!
C
Hi, its was good to meet you too after all these years over the internet. That arm is just amazing considering it was only 16 days since it happened. No swelling, no bruising at all and full movement. I was looking for the woman with her arm in a splint, I should have known you wouldn't wear it unless you were riding!
My foal will be a closet Andi, I'm getting the movement but I'm going to pretend its a warmblood with extra ping. I hate long manes, so it'll have to be a huge change in attitude if I let is mane grow long. I'm off to an unaffiliated Intro size event at a BE venue on Sunday, fingers crossed.
All the best
Tracey B
Well it's tommorrow...I hope all went well with George!
Awww, feeling jealous now Tracey ..... Have a great time!
Just about to tell you Mandeigh
C
Post a Comment
<< Home