Monday, June 30, 2008

From bad to worse

I've got some great pix today and a caution.

DO NOT POKE A HORSE IN THE BUM WITH THE HANDLE OF A RASP WHEN ITS BACKSIDE IS TOWARDS YOU.

Or this my happen :






Multiple fracture of the main arm bone. Dislocastion of thr elbow. The lump that you can see above the elbow is the endof the bone that shoul be in the socket :-00000

It's been pinned and the mashed bits taken out and Idon't have a cast on, which is great news.

I'm only just home and typing left handed, so more later after i've had a shower

C

23 Comments:

At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! Eek! Not one of the best weeks ever.

Hope you feel better soon.

Judith

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

Hmm, I am taking your caution to heart. It looks awful! Must of hurt something terrible. Were they able to put the end of the bone back in place? Do you have more than one pin? Has SH sold the horses? And... who done it?

Two breaks in less than 6 months. Let's hope you are done for a while and are in for a long run of good luck. If you were a song writer you would have plenty of material...

With nice weather for a day or I expect to see you sitting in the sun with a cold drink, maybe ice on your arm and slowly but surely recovering.

Healing thoughts are winging their way to you!

ML

 
At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was Zippy but it was not his fault. I was stupid and I provoked him. I'd had such a bad week or two, car accidents, drivers disputing liability, Jazz, Eland's showjumping surface and my father and then my mother on top of it all.

I should never have been trying to handle a horse in the mood I was in and I have paid for it big time. It could have been worse. Closer and he'd have broken my leg. Further away and he would have smashed my face to smithereens. A tiny bit lower and my spleen would have ruptured not my arm.

I'd say I'm due a break but that might be unfortunate wording :-)

C

C

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ML wasn't it the Carpenters who sang that "the best love songs are written with a broken aaaa rrrrrrrmmm"?

 
At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!!!! I really really really hope that it looks worse than it must feel! I know you're normally resilient about these things - you shoulder is a prime example - but please don't overdo things!!

I see you had Winnie the Pooh and Eeyore for company though!

Hope it heals quickly and you take it easy for a bit!

Louise

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Muriel said...

Oh C.
I am away for the WE, I come back, here you are with a broken arm ...
Bloomin' eck woman, can you not look after yourself!

Lots of RICE or maybe that won't be enough ^-^

Hope you get well soon!

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Claire said...

crikey! think that'll take a while, poor you!

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RiCE?????

C

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rest
Ice
Compression
Evaluation

(I think!!)

Alternatively get SH to make you a risotto!

Louise

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

Bloody hell Caroline I thought i'd had a bad day dropping my fish and chips on the floor tonight when i'd only had a couple of mouthfulls!!

That looks pretty gross I cant help being amused by the fact you had Allan taking pics though!:)

To say you've had some rotten luck lately is an understatement.I hope you've got lots of strong pain killers and its not hurting too much.
Take care of yourself
hugsxx

 
At 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

painkillers, who needs painkillers?

Though I should point out that the first photo is what happens when you are offered a third shot of morphine and turn it down, only for the morphine-trained nurse to be unavailable for ten minutes when you decide you need it. I couldn't believe the speed it wore off!

Oh and you seriously do not want to know what it was like when they put a temporary plaster on it and forgot to hold my wrist up.All I could hear was my own heartbeat, going too fast to count it!

I was really frightened of the general anaesthetic, but it was OK. The registrar told me that when I woke up I would be in a lot of pain and have a morphine pump to self-administer morphine. I told him that it was unlikely that I'd need it and he thought I was mad. When I woke up I was in almost no pain and I was SO relieved that there was no cast so it will be usable so much more quickly.

The consultant surgeon on duty over the weekend was, luckily for me, an arm specialist, otherwise I'm sure I'd have been shoulder to wrist in plaster "as a precaution".

The surgeon came to see me in the morning, with his registrar and his assistant. He seemed just a little surprised :-) when I offered him my right hand to shake!! Then when I told him not to prescribe me painkillers because then I wouldn't have enough pain to stop me overusing it, the three of them's faces were a picture!!

By the time I left at two o'clock, having refused pain relief all morning and telling them my score was half out of ten (it rose to about 3 by later in the day butno more than that) I had people saying to me "oh YOU'RE the one, are you". I am clearly very abnormal (I'm talking aboutpain here folks!) because the radiogapher said "you have a very high pain threshhold" completely out of the blue, unprompted. I asked him if he had been told that already and he said no, that with the break he had just photographed I should have passed out when he positioned it for the pictures. SO it's official now :-)

The surgeon has warned me that the elbow is a very diffcult joint and that if I weightbear on it too soon it can deposit calcium and cause real problems. So I won't, of course.

I have an appointment 15th July, after which I hope to ride. I have designed a glove with straps on it that will stop it being pulled apart, and SH will make that for me.

I hope to be doing Bold Heath with George on August 15th.

Poor Zippy was so frightened that I was going to be angry when I saw him yesterday. I had to walk round him reassuring him that it wasn't his fault.

C


ps does anyone know where Jean is? I'm concerned about her, having had that fallout with a pupil lately.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

It must be a biochemical difference you have. I would have passed out, been very sick and probably not able to eat for days. I am pleased with your upbeat attitude and compassion for Zippy, not to mention your understanding of the situation.

Now you have me worried about Jean too. It's unlike her not to comment, especially when you are hurt. I see she hasn't posted since Friday.

ML

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Nic Barker said...

Couldn't believe this when I saw it - yucky photos, and you ar definitely not normal :-)

Fancy doing a spot on health and safety for us trimmers and farriers at the conference?!?!?! ;-)

Take care!

Nic

 
At 6:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely agree ML it's biochemical. It's notthat I don't generate pain,but that i canblock it.If I get a bigger upset,like my Dad dying, then I feel phsycal pain more.

Nic yoy get the prize for making me laugh most :-))))

C

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Jean said...

I have suffered a modem crash. I could not log on to the Internet until the replacement arrived just a few hours ago. So I am fine. HOWEVER, I leave the Internet for a few days and THIS is what happens????? Good heavens, Caroline!!!

SH and the camera shall n'eer be parted, I fear. Although I have a feeling you probably told him to take some pics.

Pain threshhold....when I had my knee surgery, the day after, I was in physical therapy. Therapist put me on a knee machine and cranked it up to maximum. He said, "Oh, this will be fine for you. Your one of those horsepeople. You have a high tolerance to pain." H-m-m-m-m. Does that come from just getting used to being bounced around all the time.

That elbow looks like my wrist did. Joints out of alignment like that are pretty ugly...ouchers. Interesting about no cast, though. As you say, a good thing since you will less likely have the muscle atrophy immobilzation causes.

Poor Zipster. He is a sensitive soul. So sorry he reacted that way both when he kicked and afterward. He must be really upset.

Do take care of yourself and only do things that WILL NOT impede your healing. As your doctor said, joints are tricky. You don't want any long term after effects.

Gentle hugs and good wishes for speedy healing are being send across the pond.

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloody hell, that picture is painful. And you want to be competing on 15th August?? You put us all to shame with your ability to mend.

I have to say your blog is truely warts and all and to go through that without morphine, you're definitely wired differently Caroline.

Best wishes for a speedy return to form and of course competition on the 15th August.

Tracey B

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Claire said...

how are you?

hope zip is reassured....

i haven't got that pain threshold I don't think......!

 
At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went through a bit of a "sorry for myself" spell last night but I have woken up much more bouyant this morning. I have much more mobility in my fingers and I am touch typing again, so that's great news because this is currently my number one leisure activity, apart from eating. My appetite is voracious, goodness knows how many calories are going into fixing that thing. And I'm sure you want to know about the colour of the stuff that's being flushed out through my "body systems" :-) All very interesting. I am mostly pain free, a slight to moderate ache, nothing to take a paracetamol for.

I've been researching splints to put on to ride in. The one I need seems to be only available in the US. If anyone has any medical contacts in this country who can source me a full length forearm splint, not including the wrist, can you let me know?

So thanks Claire, I'm doing well. Tracey I'm so lucky aren't I? I think it would be a serious possibility to ride at Tetton at the end of July but I'll probably hold off until Bold in August.

Jean I am SO RELIEVED to hear from you! I had visions of some crazed student you just failed having gone mad and shot the entire teaching staff of the school. We think that's how things are in the US, don't we English folks :-))) ???

Must go, my second breakfast of egg muffin and hash browns is waiting at McD,s!

C

 
At 8:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No I was not asking him to take pictures! Honestly, what do you think of me?? Actually of course I was really pleased he did - but you should have seen the colour of his face :-)))))) I nearly handed him the gas and air (and by the way that's b***** useless stuff!!)

I'm looking forward to seeing how many screws there are in it when we go to the follow up session on July 15th.

C

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Muriel said...

yep gas and air is blloin' useless bu they do not tell you until get into deep labor ... LOL!

I am glad you are feeling better.

thinking of you, enjoy your extra calories ^-^

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

It's a long way to scroll up to the comment box from the bottom of the comments!

I have been thinking of you all day, wondering how you are feeling now. I am amazed (I know you have heard this before) that you are only in moderate pain and eating.

Too bad I don't have any medical connections in the US to find you a splint. But I will think on it. Is it like a prescription thing or can it be bought in a regular medical supply store?

If Tetley could he would send his love!

ML

 
At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in no pain at all now ML. I have full mobility in my fingers and elbow and I have inadvertantly picked up several things without thinking about what I am doing in the last two hours.

I'm going to ring the surgeon tomorrow to ask him to give me some hard and fast rules about what exactly I can pick up and what not. Is it a teaspoon, a mug of tea, or the full kettle? Cos I can already do all of those.

I feel great. We are off tomorrow to celebrate SH's birthday with a little trip away, and back Friday.

The boys are all well. See you later folks.

C

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

Pleased your feeling okay.

Hope you had a good trip away and SuperHubby's had lovely birthday:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home