Thursday, May 15, 2008

More George

Well in all the years that I've been training young horses I've never come across one like George before. We put a load of showjumps up at a metre. And he jumped them. I will be sending an entry for a Pre Novice competition in mid June, Catton.

He is now routinely cantering into the fence and is still absolutely thrilled to be allowed to do it. He started off thinking that we were about to set off around a cross country course, but he very soon settled and jumped calmly and sensibly.

What more can I say? A metre already and only three months into his training. A metre already and I haven't managed to give him "they've gone up" nerves. Quite astonishing.

Today I bumped into the professional event rider who told the previous owners that he thought George was unbroken. I told him that he went clear round Rodbaston last week. The guy was really embarassed and asked me not to tell the people that I bought him off! He also said "I didn't think I should just chuck the girl up on his back". Lucky for me he didn't, eh?

C.

5 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Way to go, George. He really is amazing.

Sidebar: I took a jumping clinic on Toby with a US International Eventer. It was the FIRST time Toby had ever really jumped. By the end of the session the fences were at over 3 feet. Granted, it was in a grid, but apparently to the big pro trainers, 3 feet is beginner height. I certainly don’t think so. However, at 3 feet in arena jumping, the horse has to actually start using himself. My first trainer said each 6 inches after that made a difference to the horse in how to use his body. Yet, in all my hunter/jumper/eventing career, I rarely schooled at home over much more than 2’6” to 3’.
Even with that, in competition, Russell was more than competent over fences up to 4’6” at least. It was all in the gymnastics.

Still your and George’s accomplishments really are exceptional. Just think how much difference there is in his canter and ability to canter over those show jumps! His balance is developing rapidly.

Have to laugh about the event trainer. I do suppose perhaps he was being reasonably cautious not just putting the girl up on George and sending her over some fences without really knowing the horse. On the other hand, I should like to believe he was actually correct. George was essentially “unbroken” and you, with all your expertise and unusually skilled horsemanship have transformed him into a schooled eventer in a few short weeks. Yeah, that’s the explanation I like!! *G*

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Claire said...

and the more he canters, the better his canter in the arena will be -a win win situation

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

What a grand boy he is must be a great feeling to ride him.
Bet the trainer feels a bit of a wally!

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicola he looked mighty embarassed. And so he should really, he was paid for his opinion and he got it very badly wrong. He cost them at least £1000 that they would have added to George's price. (He'd still have been a bargain!)

Well I like your explanation too Jean! The truth is somewhere in between I think. He hadn't done more than trot, gallop, and jump whatever was in his path. He'd never seen a showjump or anything fixed except timber. I think he'd probably been hunting a few times and not much more. He is still an incredibly quick learner and a natural jumper.

I rode him in canter to warm up today fo the first time Claire. It's getting better and better, as you say.

C.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home