I was going to do some ground work with Jazz today as a change and because it would obviously help the loading issue. But the weather was nice enough for a hack out for the first time in days, and I couldn’t resist it so we went for 40 minutes down the road. Jaz is totally unspooky. He looks interestedly at sheep, flapping bits of silage wrapping etc, and he is asking me if it’s safe. But as soon as I tell him that it is, he is perfectly calm and accepts it all. We were passed by five cars and he was impeccable each time. Where the road was narrow he stood and waited. Where it was wider they went right past I can’t imagine that traffic is going to be an issue with him at all. When I turn for home, he doesn't rush. In fact he feels a bit lazy, but that is quite likely to be genuine tiredness from unaccustomed work.
I trimmed his feet again when we got back and they now look really cute. The only thing wrong with them was having been allowed to grow too long. They are now as nice a set of white feet as you could wish to see. He's totally sound, they clack along the road, and I have yet to see or feel him notice treading on a stone anywhere. The blessing of catching a horse before it has really been shod (fronts only for four weeks, that's all he's ever had).
He is a delightful character. He talks all the time - little squeals when he doesn't like something, whinnies when he sees me, deep grumblng noises while I'm riding. If turned loose in the stable or on the yard when you are doing stuff, he follows and looks inquisitively at whatever you are working on. And he loves a cuddle and a stroke and is always snuggling up close. He's a treasure. I don't think for one moment that I'm going to be able to cross country him in a snaffle, he is far too strong. But we'll see, that's for later.
Tia was a complete sweetheart today. I just did some walk work on a relaxed rein today and she did super shoulder in, travers and circles. Her first try at halt was up and forwards and so we stopped after just 10 minutes, because it was 10 real quality minutes and who could ask for more than that. The feel of Jazz is giving me some reallyuseful pointers about how to get a similar feel on her, and where I need to sit to do it.
It's a jolly good job that I bought two WOW saddles. Tia is in a 0. Jazz is in a 2 and set to go wider yet. It's also a jolly good job that I got wide gullets, because Jazz would never fit a standard TB gullet in a million years. His wither is beginning to rise now, and his chest is broadening. It's very clear that he is going to be a very big horse!
C

5 Comments:
Oh another thing, I thought about. this giant warmbloods are very athletic, with gaits to die for, and a good heart and brain to learn fast, if you know how to ask ... ( I am sure you do that better than me LOL)
But these horses are often ruined because people used them too much too soon. They grow veeerrryyyyyy sloooooowwwwwwwllllly in their head too. Linda has really changed her way of thinking when she hits five yrs old. She has been in a constant regular training since 3 and 1/2 yrs old.
Linda is very unpsooky, or she will spook in place, snort, and face what's wrong, if ask she carries on.
Must be the breed.
Anyway, when you get hooked on the breed, there is no-turn back.
But there are not beginners horses as they have lots of 'tude LOL
You sound like you are having great fun. It is nice to "hear" you so happy!
" And he loves a cuddle and a stroke and is always snuggling up close. He's a treasure."
:-) says it all really.
glad he was good fter that shot of him spooking at a white fence ribbon
Well, if he is a quiet, brave hack then he is reaching full star potential, even if he doesn't yet load. I have a feeling that too will come pretty quickly once he discovers there is nothing real to fear in getting on the lorry.
I am so pleased to "hear" the utter joy in your posts. Smartie is smiling, too, I am sure. When you think of it, you would not have Jazz if it were not for the journey he sent you on. Beautiful serendipity, with a touch of real magic at work, I think.
I'm a real believer that horses need variety to keep them interested in life Muriel. Jazz will go out and about and see lots of things and have lots of unstressful hacks in among the school drills. I hope he will grow up well that way.
He too confronts what frightens him a snorts - today I had emptied part of my down pillow into the barn and he was snorting at the white fluff but didn't panic at all.
Mandeigh, doesn't it just?!
Claire I think Marcel has a hot backside, and that he hadn'thas enough exercise or free time, and that Marcel confronted the fence instead of brining him away. He twitched at noises outside the barn door today but he was easy enough to persuade to listen to me.
A manly neigh, Ann? I get a girly whinny! But I love the talking, it's so sweet!!
Things are meant to be, aren't they Jean. It was always going to take a seismic shift to wean me off "bargain" horses, and Smartie was a big part of that and Tetley finished it off.
Off now to do my last post until next Friday.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home