Tuesday, October 24, 2006

More progress, great day.

Well he’s got more character than I ever bargained for. Every time I get a little pang about missing Tetley, Jazz does something that just makes me laugh – all he has to do is roll that funny eye and I giggle. And he has my absolute favouritist character in a horse – he is so darned interested in everything you do with him and everything that’s going on around him.

He was a very good boy and a very cheeky boy today. The good boy was that I left him in his stable and took Tia out for a half hour hack. She was lovely, and the morning weather was blissful, and when we got back he didn’t even rush to the front of the stable when he heard her hoofbeats. He did whinnie a couple of times and my goodness what a wooss he sounds for a big horse :- )

One of her front feet was interesting after the roadwork – she has brought back the breakover point by a whole half an inch in one go. It is now well behind the current lie of the white line. This was the front foot that suffered concussion and was the worst of the three with it. I don’t know if it’s related,but it’s very interesting to see. She is sound on all surfaces now, even rubble :- )

I rode Jazz then, and got Cheeky Boy. I don’t know if he was cross at being left alone, or he just wanted to go out in the wonderful sunshine, but he didn’t want to work and he was bouncing around all over the place. I have to say that “didn’t want to work” for Jazz translates into an EEEnnnORMOUS trot, which is real good fun. I almost felt like I would have to watch that my head wasn’t going to bang on the roof. He was also very strong at times and I’m glad I wasn’t outside today.

We did 20 minutes of walk, shoulder-in and travers. He didn’t understand travers but he did some really nice steps after a few minutes. He does try to work out what you want, which is superb. He remembered shoulder in but had forgotten turn on the forehand and had to re-learn it. We tried some halts (sticky!) and at one point he insisted on a canter right round the bend, which is amazing in that small a space from a 4 year old. I am not going to do much big trot or canter in there with him while he is so young. I don’t want to cramp his paces and I don’t want to stress his joints.

He was dead keen to go out this morning, and led Tia through the gate. For a horse who used to put himself back in his stable if he was turned out, he seems to like being out in a room with a view!

I’m hoping Victoria will tell us how Tetley is soon, I don’t want to bother her by ringing her up but I do keep wondering if he has settled. I have rung Caddy’s new owner twice and left messages but I think that she is very nervous of using the phone and isn’t ringing back. Meanwhile, news from Scooby camp is that the mad fool has gone and done an Intermediate on him. Yes, after clocking cricket scores all summer in the showjumping he went to Intermediate. All credit to him, he got a clear round cross country and came 13th because so many people didn’t even finish. The man’s got guts, I’ll give him that. He says the problem with the showjumping is that Scooby is going too fast and scattering poles and running out. I know what he means, it took me months to work out how to stop him doing that.

I still have a grin on my face from being with Jazz this morning, and this stupendous weather is too good to miss so I’m off outside to get some more sunshine.

C.

8 Comments:

At 1:23 PM, Blogger tetley said...

Morning C,

I am getting on brilliantly with tetley. My husband has accepted being a horse widow and knows that if I'm not in the stable grooming T I'll be in the arena working him.

Your right we've settled together and my riding has improved so much already my confidence is growing each day.

Tetley has stettled beautifully and has made lots of friends ( i will try and sort out photos)
I didn't want to hijack your blog with tet this and tet that but I am now hooked on reading about jazz.

You can always phone me you have my number you know the rules if i dont answer I'm teaching/riding.

I dont think either one of us has anything to worry about jazz sounds like just what you needed and tetley is my dream.

I still carry a stupid grin with me.

Will post and let you know how we're getting on but will be reading to hear more about jazz.

Vx

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Great news about both Jazz and Tetley in their new homes. Glad you're all so happy with your new horses.

Scooby........Oh MY God. But wow that he flew round the XC at intermediate, and really glad you spoke to him about the s/j. Silly isn't it that they can do the scary jumps but not the coloured ones?? Must be the speed across the ground that makes Scoobs happiest.

I'm signing off for 2 weeks, off to South Africa to ride in the bush, seeing all the wildlife and trying not to get eaten by them. Can't wait, and all the horses/ponies are barefoot, so I'm going to enjoy learning more about that subject whilst I'm there also. Imagine barefeet in dry desert environment....I wonder if they even know what thrush is?? LOL

Bye for now, Tracey B

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Oh wow, I don't know whether to laugh or cry with joy about your posting Victoria. Please don't ever hesitate to post about him, he has a lot of fans on this blog and I'm sure they all want to hear how you and he are getting on. I certainly do! I can't wait for you to get your first ribbons! (no pressure mind, don't worry about our expectations :-) :-):-) He's your horse now, though, and I shan't interfere unless you ask me to specifically.

I can't beleive my luck to have found a horse immediately who so matches my own personality as Jazz. He has quite captured my heart. I know it had a gaping great hole in it just waiting to be filled, but even so, this is a connection that I've never made with a horse so quickly.

Tracey have a GREAT holiday, it sounds fantastic. I'm off to Butlins - not quite so exotic. So everyone will have to find another soap opera to watch from Sunday to Thursday next week. Normal service back on Friday :-)

C

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

Yes Victoria pleeese keep giving us our Tetley fix...he's got a BIG fan club :)

Im delighted things have worked out so well for you both!
Jazz must be a pretty special lad Caroline for you to fall so quickly..he sounds such a good laugh!

///// All credit to him, he got a clear round cross country and came 13th because so many people didn’t even finish. The man’s got guts, I’ll give him that.///

Typical man ...all guts and no brain :))))

 
At 8:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I'm off to France for the weekend, riding along the beach on the Somme estuary and then watching the autumn roundup of the Henson horses that have spent the summer on the sea marshes.

It is strange that everyone is going away!

Judith

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Claire said...

tetley needs to go up on victoria's own blog as well....

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Happiness all around! It's great to hear how both of you have connected so completely with your horses. That is a rare accomplishment.

Have to laugh at Jazz. I love a horse that is totally involved in life, especially the human aspects of it. My first horse, Russell used to love "helping" with chores by carrying off the tools. Apparently Tucker likes to "help" too as my friend who did some repair work on my fence claims.

And I too love hearing about Tetley.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Hi everybody, I'm glad you're all enjoying the Neigh-bours episodes recently :-) Have a good time everyone going away. Hope the move works out OK Trish.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home