Blotted his copybook!!
He’s blotted his copybook today!! I tried to load him into the lorry. I tested him first to see if he was ready by asking him to go in and out of the barn via the little door. Now everyone who has seen it will tell you that this is a very little door. They have to duck their heads and watch their sides to get through it. He didn’t even hestitate. I figured that meant he would trust me enough to get into the lorry for some food. But when I tried to put him in the lorry – no go. Two front feet on the ramp, but no more.
I fetched a whip and tickled him with it. No response. I slapped him with it - he picked me up and took me to the stable and there was absolutely nothing I could do to stop him :-0 I put a bridle on so I had a bit. He did the same again, back to the box. My goodness but he is STRONG! I blocked off one side of the ramp with a bench. No difference. I put Tia in the box and thought, right, no problems now, he’ll go straight in. Nope. Allan came home, so we had him tapping at the back and me leading at the front. Not having any of it.
Finally, I fed Tia a kilo of cubes a dozen at a time, telling her all the time what a lovely, lovely girl she was, and I left him to choose for himself whether he joined us for some food and strokes or not. He stepped up and stepped back again, stepped up and stepped back again, over and over and over……. Finally, he got so that his head was almost inside, his front feet were well up the ramp and his back feet were as close as it was possible to be. I decided that was enough for today and pushed him back off the ramp so it was my choice not his, and called it quits.
On the plus side, he doesn’t rear or plunge off the ramp. He doesn’t try and push me out of the way, he just calmly steps back off again. It’s very clear that you can’t make him do anything that he doesn’t want to do!!! I will leave this now until after my holiday. With another hour I think he would have got in, I just didn’t want to spend any more time outside. It was three o’clock before I got my lunch as it was :- ) I will choose a warm dry day and start at ten and we will finish when we finish. Superhubby says he’ll bring me tea, coffee, lunch and dinner :- )
Anyway, riding wise he was strong at times today, but I tried releasing the reins when he yanked at them and he put his head down near the floor. So do you think that’s a balance thing? I also discovered that, just like Tetley, less is more with Jazz. If you push him to do anything he turns into a leaden lump of a carthorse. If you release the bit and lighten the aid, he very often lightens with you and responds much better. He is stiffer to the left than the right, like Tetley. He got some shoulder in today and was bending really well from the leg. His leg yield is brilliant. His halt is getting better every day. The turn on the forehand was better today too. The walk away from the halt is now as sharp as I could ask for. I think he is already ready for a prelim, but we will have to load him first!!!!
Tia worked well too, with some good lateral work. She finds travers particularly difficult but she tried very hard today. She seems very happy with her new bloke!
They have been going further and further out into the field each day that Jazz has been here, and tonight they were out of sight when I went to get them in. That’s the first time. I saw them well down the field as we drove home, and I wondered if they would come when they were called. They did, which is great. Jazz now happily puts himself in his stable, morning and evening. And transfers himself from stable to barn and back again without being led. He’s a lovely boy!
C

3 Comments:
Wow caroline, what you said : " just like Tetley, less is more with Jazz. If you push him to do anything he turns into a leaden lump of a carthorse. If you release the bit and lighten the aid, he very often lightens with you and responds much better."
It is so mucn like Linda, if I resist/harden myself, she will resist more. Release, and my Princess is happy to do ANYTHING!. They are funny these big horses LOL!
Have you tried to beat the ground with the whip instead of him to get a response. I know that pisses off my Princess Linda HAHAHA. If I tap her, she braces herself ready for a fight, if I hit the ground she jumps forward ... Go figure.
Well, Kenny Harlow's theory (from John Lyons) is that it's not a loading problem, it's a leading problem. He does lots of ground work teaching in hand leading manners and the go forward cue before he loads. Once that is established, he begins the loading process as if it's just a leading exercise.
I've done that too. Lots of circling round and round outside the trailer (lorry) whenever there is a disobedience to the "go forward" cue. Eventually, the horse gets the idea that being outside the transport means work and effort, while being inside means he can stand and relax.
Wish Kenny were over there to help you. Once he teaches a horse to load--without a handler in front...my horses just go in the trailer while I stand alongside so I can fasten the ramp behind them--he give it a life time guarantee.
Good luck. I know you will succeed in this battle.
And, yes, sounds as if the snatching is balance. The circling and shoulder in or other such exercises to help him find out where his feet belong should help over time. Too, some down and round may also help his confidence in his ability to carry you and himself around the arena. At 4 he certainly hasn't had a lot of riding. His pure natural talent has been carrying him so far, but as you ask for more from him, his feet will tangle now and then.
I can only imagine how it must be for a youngster to suddenly have to deal with not only his own growing body but also a strange, moving creature up there, high on his back! When you think about it, the fact that they try to do what you ask at all is pretty darn amazing!
Interesting about hitting the ground Muriel. Like Linda, Jazz is just going to do his own thing if I hit him, so I won't be trying that again, no point!
I'm sure you're right guys, it's mostly a leading thing. I've never had a problem teaching any horse to load, I just tried this one at the wrong time, stupid me. I think it's also a problem that the first time he was ever loaded he got put in a lorry and driven for hours and hours and hours, on a ferry too, (and who knows how bad that crossing was?) and ended up in a foreign country. And now as far as he is concerned, he may as well be in a foreign country again, never having seen a hill in his life before. So I need to get him to trust me more, and then try again. We'll sort it.
Ann, Jazz couldn't be anymore different from your orange bundle if he tried - there's just no spook in him at all. I think you are right with the "impolite" bit too, he seems to be getting a lot better as the days go by and we work each other out.
Jean you are so right about learning where to put his feet. He has actually kicked a splint bone on a back leg and given himself a hot spot and a fat leg :-( Nothing serious, but an indication of his babyness.
We all know I make all this up, don't we Trish? Blind horses, arthritic horses, laminitic horses ...... it's not me on BE at all you know, I just watch her scores and make up a story that fits :-) :-) :-) Great news on the cottage, I hope you absolutely love living there.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home