The diary of my horses, in honour of a brave and intelligent horse called Smartie.
Wednesday, October 18, 2006
No slug!
This was the result of seeing a piece of white electric fence tape in a field 50 yards away, where it hadn’t been the day before :-) Ran was horrified, he thought it was going to put me off buying him – no chance!
If he has only been broken in for 2 months he is still at that slightly worrying stage when they don't quite know what stop means! Or much else for that matter.
I expect you will find Tia extremely relaxing to ride in comparison!
Oh No Ann, Warmblood are a fairly "new breed", or at least the springent breeding program IS, except for the germans breed ...
They crossed of semi-draft with TB, AT THE BEGINNING, now after many generations, they are infact fairly hot animals. Look at all the warmblood used for dressage, and the SF eventing, lots of TB. Basically they want the cool workable mind of a draft with the athletism of a TB.
Caroline, when I say change of routine, I do not mean in the work, but more in the environment, change stable, change feed etc ...
I remember you writing about warmblood having problems with their legs. That comes from the fact that they grow in STALLS. No turnout. Not all breeding farm, but when a foal at birth costs 15,000 to 20,000 euros, sometimes he is not allowed to run wild in paddocks. Sad but true. Hence structural problems after.
Have fun with your lovely boys .... If you are into warmbloods, you will have to study a lot their lines too LOL
Very sweet what children come out with...my friend's 6 year old son got very upset the other day when his mum told him Robin might go and retire in scotland. He stated he loved Robin, asked if it was because of money and then offered his pocket money. Brought a tear to my eye!! (Robin always becomes very gentle when children are around, drops his head, moves very slowly and allows himself to be cuddled - he's generally speaking not a horse that likes cuddles!)
Point noted re bute etc, I do hope the flat country does the trick without any of that intervention!!
Can't wait for pics of orange job at "home"! Cassie
If Tetley stays on something like your devil claw brew, that would probably help too. We have something in the US called "BL solution" which I think is known as Buteless elsewhere. It is a commercial brew with devil's claw.
Well, JP's mode kind of looks like Tucker's "runaway!" mode...but Tuck usually stops after about 6 strides and then says, "Hey, what did I do that for?" It is definitely exciting.
Lunged Chance last night. Not a bad mover, but he only goes in one direction. I guess to his prior owners there was no need to train him on the other rein. *sigh* He was good, though, to learning, so there is hope.
Well you'll be there to see the farm ride antics Tam! I know Murphy doesn't have conventional Nanny qaulifications, being a bit of a hothead himself! Do you think we'll get back in one piece????
Ann, no warmplod here, but I used to think the same as you and one of my friend's German ones is a definite contender even at 4 and 5.
Well there's a turn-up Judith, riding Tia to relax :-)
Ah, interesting Muriel. That will explain why Ran made a point of telling me that some of the horses he has are very picky about their food, but not him. Apparently he's a gutso who will do anything for food. And his rider says that if you ride him one day and not the next, he makes it quite clear on the third day that you have not paid him the right amount of attention!
I'm not sure I knew about the issue with legs - my friend's horse hurt its leg but in circumstances that could have caused a check ligament strain in any horse - he jumped a double field fence in one go :-0 I am pretty sure the stud JP came from had them running loose. Certainly he has a little scar on his knee which suggests that they weren't over mollycoddled. And Ran mentioned 7, 8 and 9 year olds running wild unbroken because the stud haven't time for them.
Cassie I am giving him bute for the journey as I think 4 hours standing in a box will be difficult for him. Victoria has consulted her vet who seconds my recommendation that she blitz the inflammation for a few days with bute, and then start from a clean sheet, inflammation wise, on flat ground. He has 9 litres of Devils Claw going with him so he will stay on that, but I trust Victoria to give him whatever he needs to work comfortably. She has spoken to her farrier who is very much in favour of him staying unshod :-)))
Jean, Ran's rider only managed to stop him by running him into a five foot high fence and turning him so he didn't jump it! He was game to give it a go :-)))) I will, perhaps needless to say, be riding him indoors with solid walls to start with, because I am not keen to end up in the reservoir!
Chance sounds like he is making a promising start. Why was he up for adoption?
I'm off to get Tetley in for the last time now, and since I was in tears turning him out this morning for the last time I don't expect to be any better this evening.
Of course, none of you need to say goodbye to him, because we have "him" posting now :-) That will seem very very odd to me for a while. Nice though.
I'm off now, and the next time I'm with you will be with an orange horse in the stable. See you!
You know what Caroline, when I first saw that photo I thought we'll never come back alive! Not two of them at it, could be interesting. I'll have to have a chat with Murphy prior, to make sure he understands he has got to be the grown up, responsible one! Worth a try!
OK, I do not need to ride Tucker into the wall to stop him. In general, he's just as pleased when I take charge. But the bolt usually unseats me enough that I simply can't do much for the first few strides. It's kind of a rocket launch....like it looks with JP.
Chance supposedly was up for adoption because his owners could no longer afford to keep him. Still waiting for the papers that might tell more of the story.
////am pretty sure the stud JP came from had them running loose. Certainly he has a little scar on his knee which suggests that they weren't over mollycoddled. And Ran mentioned 7, 8 and 9 year olds running wild unbroken because the stud haven't time for them. ///
This really has me laughing Caroline..it sounds exactly like John's place ..are you sure you didnt come further North for you new boy?? John was converted to W/bloods over 10years ago after meeting and riding some of his I dont have a clue where the idea they were 'dumb' or 'warm' came from ?Speaking as someone who got bolted with heading towards a 5bar gate on a W/B mare after she spotted some cows(she did live on a farm full of the creatures?!). I do think they are slow developers both physically and mentally in comparison to many other breeds though.
That picture looks like an everyday ride for me and Polo BTW :0
So excited and sad for you...big BIG kiss and cuddle to Tetley from me and get lots of pics of the new boy in town.
10 Comments:
By golly gosh! Farm ride is going to be GREAT fun!! ;-) He looks fab. I think he'll keep you on your toes and thinking.
If he has only been broken in for 2 months he is still at that slightly worrying stage when they don't quite know what stop means! Or much else for that matter.
I expect you will find Tia extremely relaxing to ride in comparison!
Judith
Oh No Ann, Warmblood are a fairly "new breed", or at least the springent breeding program IS, except for the germans breed ...
They crossed of semi-draft with TB, AT THE BEGINNING, now after many generations, they are infact fairly hot animals. Look at all the warmblood used for dressage, and the SF eventing, lots of TB. Basically they want the cool workable mind of a draft with the athletism of a TB.
Caroline, when I say change of routine, I do not mean in the work, but more in the environment, change stable, change feed etc ...
I remember you writing about warmblood having problems with their legs. That comes from the fact that they grow in STALLS. No turnout. Not all breeding farm, but when a foal at birth costs 15,000 to 20,000 euros, sometimes he is not allowed to run wild in paddocks. Sad but true. Hence structural problems after.
Have fun with your lovely boys ....
If you are into warmbloods, you will have to study a lot their lines too LOL
That's what i like to see - quick reactions!!
Very sweet what children come out with...my friend's 6 year old son got very upset the other day when his mum told him Robin might go and retire in scotland. He stated he loved Robin, asked if it was because of money and then offered his pocket money. Brought a tear to my eye!! (Robin always becomes very gentle when children are around, drops his head, moves very slowly and allows himself to be cuddled - he's generally speaking not a horse that likes cuddles!)
Point noted re bute etc, I do hope the flat country does the trick without any of that intervention!!
Can't wait for pics of orange job at "home"!
Cassie
Okay ... thats fast my stomach is doing flips just looking at it.
V.
If Tetley stays on something like your devil claw brew, that would probably help too. We have something in the US called "BL solution" which I think is known as Buteless elsewhere. It is a commercial brew with devil's claw.
Well, JP's mode kind of looks like Tucker's "runaway!" mode...but Tuck usually stops after about 6 strides and then says, "Hey, what did I do that for?" It is definitely exciting.
Lunged Chance last night. Not a bad mover, but he only goes in one direction. I guess to his prior owners there was no need to train him on the other rein. *sigh* He was good, though, to learning, so there is hope.
Well you'll be there to see the farm ride antics Tam! I know Murphy doesn't have conventional Nanny qaulifications, being a bit of a hothead himself! Do you think we'll get back in one piece????
Ann, no warmplod here, but I used to think the same as you and one of my friend's German ones is a definite contender even at 4 and 5.
Well there's a turn-up Judith, riding Tia to relax :-)
Ah, interesting Muriel. That will explain why Ran made a point of telling me that some of the horses he has are very picky about their food, but not him. Apparently he's a gutso who will do anything for food. And his rider says that if you ride him one day and not the next, he makes it quite clear on the third day that you have not paid him the right amount of attention!
I'm not sure I knew about the issue with legs - my friend's horse hurt its leg but in circumstances that could have caused a check ligament strain in any horse - he jumped a double field fence in one go :-0
I am pretty sure the stud JP came from had them running loose. Certainly he has a little scar on his knee which suggests that they weren't over mollycoddled. And Ran mentioned 7, 8 and 9 year olds running wild unbroken because the stud haven't time for them.
Cassie I am giving him bute for the journey as I think 4 hours standing in a box will be difficult for him. Victoria has consulted her vet who seconds my recommendation that she blitz the inflammation for a few days with bute, and then start from a clean sheet, inflammation wise, on flat ground. He has 9 litres of Devils Claw going with him so he will stay on that, but I trust Victoria to give him whatever he needs to work comfortably. She has spoken to her farrier who is very much in favour of him staying unshod :-)))
Jean, Ran's rider only managed to stop him by running him into a five foot high fence and turning him so he didn't jump it! He was game to give it a go :-)))) I will, perhaps needless to say, be riding him indoors with solid walls to start with, because I am not keen to end up in the reservoir!
Chance sounds like he is making a promising start. Why was he up for adoption?
I'm off to get Tetley in for the last time now, and since I was in tears turning him out this morning for the last time I don't expect to be any better this evening.
Of course, none of you need to say goodbye to him, because we have "him" posting now :-) That will seem very very odd to me for a while. Nice though.
I'm off now, and the next time I'm with you will be with an orange horse in the stable. See you!
Caroline.
You know what Caroline, when I first saw that photo I thought we'll never come back alive! Not two of them at it, could be interesting. I'll have to have a chat with Murphy prior, to make sure he understands he has got to be the grown up, responsible one! Worth a try!
OK, I do not need to ride Tucker into the wall to stop him. In general, he's just as pleased when I take charge. But the bolt usually unseats me enough that I simply can't do much for the first few strides. It's kind of a rocket launch....like it looks with JP.
Chance supposedly was up for adoption because his owners could no longer afford to keep him. Still waiting for the papers that might tell more of the story.
////am pretty sure the stud JP came from had them running loose. Certainly he has a little scar on his knee which suggests that they weren't over mollycoddled. And Ran mentioned 7, 8 and 9 year olds running wild unbroken because the stud haven't time for them. ///
This really has me laughing Caroline..it sounds exactly like John's place ..are you sure you didnt come further North for you new boy??
John was converted to W/bloods over 10years ago after meeting and riding some of his I dont have a clue where the idea they were 'dumb' or 'warm' came from ?Speaking as someone who got bolted with heading towards a 5bar gate on a W/B mare after she spotted some cows(she did live on a farm full of the creatures?!).
I do think they are slow developers both physically and mentally in comparison to many other breeds though.
That picture looks like an everyday ride for me and Polo BTW :0
So excited and sad for you...big BIG kiss and cuddle to Tetley from me and get lots of pics of the new boy in town.
Post a Comment
<< Home