Friday, December 11, 2009

Good to go!!

Radar will be hunting tomorrow. He had a test canter and trot circles on a field today and he was VERY boisterous!!! I have swapped his diet to high fat low carbs and I think he likes it. He's going to be beside himself when he hears the hounds. It's an easy meet and I won't be pushing it, so it'll be a good re-start after a month with no hunt.

Jazz - WELL!!! - I've seen some abscesses in my time but I have never seen that amount of pus fountain out of the back of a horse's foot before. A stream of it, stinky or what! He is now much happier and he'll be sound in a day or two - if he is still alive. He gave me such trouble to get the peroxide in tonight I would cheerfully have turned him into beefburgers. I tried a twitch, holding up another foot, everything that I could think of. Finally I kicked him, slapped him, punched him (none of which hurt him but it made me feel better :-)and shouted at him and then explained that I didn't mean to hurt him but I was trying to help him. To my absolute surprise he let me pick up his foot and squirt the peroxide in the hole. Who says horses can't understand English?

Roll on tomorrow!

C

3 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Blogger Jean said...

You'd be surprised at how much English our horses understand if we would but take the time to talk to them. I am sure Jazz understood. Poor guy. You said he was being a wimp about that foot, but with all the pus can you even imagine how much it must have hurt?

Looking forward to a wonderful hunt report. Now do remember, pay no attention to the cameraman should he be there. Jumping safely and well is far more important than a good picture! *vbwg* ;)

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

He understood that you were not going to give up until he cooperated. I imagine, that once you set your mind, you are a formidable foe. You can be sure Jazz knows that!

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

I've had a fantastic time today but SH wants his tea! And then Xfactor of course. I'll give you a full report later this evening.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home