Thursday, December 10, 2009

Running on all four cylinders

Radar is running on all four cylinders. He is sound in trot on the road. I don't know about softer surfaces, I haven't tried him yet. We'll do that tomorrow. The chances of hunting on Saturday are getting higher and higher. Fingers crossed. We had a lovely hack today. Full of steep hills and lots of trotting. He was full of energy and very up for it.

In the stable this morning he had a bee in his bonnet, just like Tetley used to get. They are SO alike, these two. He had seen something on the horizon. I have no idea what, because I certainly couldn't see anything. But he was jittery, head in the air, staring eyes fixed in the far distance and rushing to the door. What was that about?! Who knows?!

Jazz's foot had not popped when he came in tonight but it was so obvious where it was going to go. I couldn't even touch him there on the bulb of his heel without him snatching his foot away. I cut it open with a scalpel and while I didn't get any obvious pus out, he was immediately sounder on his foot, so I reackon I got the right spot. Hopefully by tomorrow we'll have a proper hole to squirt peroxide in for a few days, and then he'll be as righ tas rain. Just like last time, this is an infection under his frog and not in his foot. Still, I guess he went a year between episodes, didn't he? Plenty of shod horses are the same.

Butkins hasn't managed to get the gate open again yet!

C

6 Comments:

At 9:46 PM, Blogger Claire said...

:-)

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Aw, you may well have thwarted the little Butterkins. Time will tell. *G*

Radar sounds good to go and Jazz is on the mend. All seems to be going well. Glad to hear it.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Jazz is much better this morning. I've never SEEEEEEEN do much pus fountain out of the back of a horse's foot! He's walking almost fine on it already.

C

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Ick, but fantastic! Only horsemen can be delighted by such a sight. *G*

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

and smell!

C

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

Good news about Radar!

Nothing gets by Tetley. Today in the dense fog Tetley could see a faint light through the hedge from the next field. Who cares I thought, but he certainly did.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home