Monday, November 16, 2009

Memory of a goldfish!

You see! - Give radaR four days off and when you start again he has forgotten how to walk a circle. You think I'm joking? No, not joking but still laughing! He fell round the corners, jogged, missed the aids to turn, sped up, slowed down, threw his head in the air at a half halt aid, dropped his back in-ce-ssant-ly. In the end I had to keep on and on and on tapping him up with a whip to get him to go forward to the bridle - and I kept on and on and on at it until he finally realised that I had more patience than him. Ping! On went the lightbulb, nice relaxed forward walk, bend, circles, serpentines, stop and get off with a lot of pats. What a daft horse he is.

Jazz, now, never forgets a thing. Four days off and he did some absolutely gorgeous trot work. So much suspension. SH came and watched at one point and said that he thinks his suspension has increased since he watched him last. I showed him our flying changes, which are absolutely solid inside the barn (though before I ask for them!). He was impressed :-)))

I have my fingers crossed for a hunt this weekend. I didn't miss much on Saturday, apparently the wind was atrocious and the rain was even worse. I wouldn't have gone anyway.

C

4 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, Anonymous Judith said...

So glad to know that Radar is completely OK.
I suppose that Jazz is getting much stronger now with all the work that he has had and growing up.

Saturday was pretty wild around here. I'm surprised that hunting was able to go ahead, although maybe the afternon wasn't as bad as forecast. I managed to get in an early ride, before the wind got up and the rain came down.

 
At 4:55 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

I'm not sure if they did go Judith, there's nothing on the website. It's hard to see how they could have, really, but they are a tough lot!

C

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Claire said...

i should be surprised if anyone save madmen were out saturday - the morning was wild enough to put anyone off, even if it did calm down after lunch!

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Jean said...

radaR reappears! Well, at least you had Radar by the end of the ride. What a silly boy. Then again, how many years of doing it wrong still have to be undone? When you add it all up, he still is pretty green under saddle, and he spent far too much of his previous life doing nothing except go around all wrong.

Wishing for good weather for the weekend--and prior to so the footing is good as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home