Saturday, November 07, 2009

What did I do?

What did I do to deserve this horse? Radar is already a "made hunter" after only seven meets. He chose "THE" hedge-hopper meet of the season to prove how much he has learned in just two months. He queued for the timber; he went in forwards; measured up the fence; gave it space to allow for some boggy takeoffs and landed prepared for the ground not to be flat and to have to find his balance. A fantastic improvement even on the last time out, when he almost routinely tapped nearly every timber fence.

He goes when the others go and stops when they stop. OK he pulls a bit if you don't keep him near the front, but that was where I wanted to be too, so we weren't arguing about it!

And then the hedges. He couldn't wait. Hedge after hedge after hedge. Running across established Cheshire grassland for field after field. Not one hedge less than 3ft 6, with most plenty higher than that. He attacked them, placed himself, and flew. He may as well have had wings. He's not daft either - if they aren't very thick he doesn't bother to jump the full height, he brushes through the top. But if they have timber in them, or they are good and thick, he jumps them as if they were solid. And all the time he feels SO darned SAFE.

I've been in seventh heaven all afternoon. I can't believe my luck. He's not for sale at any price! What a horse!

C

ps Horse and Hound were out with us today. Watch out for the review in this week's issue. I'm hoping the photographer got a shot of Radar, but I don't think so.

7 Comments:

At 7:45 PM, Blogger Claire said...

thumbs up smiley

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds brilliant...good boy Radar!
Arent you slightly tempted to go Xcountrying on him?:)
I cant wait to go again. Ive just got to wait till they are back in our area and Ali has regained the fitness he's lost,shouldnt take long though.

Nicola

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Does Cloud Nine have room for the both of you? *S*

What a fantastic day you had. Sounds as if it is exactly what he was meant to do. What I love best is his overall attitude. Jumping ability is one thing, but common sense and good behavior in company are worth even more.

Way to go, Radar!!

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

I'm off to bed now - it's after 11 and I still haven't managed to wipe the smile off my face.

C

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You lucky lucky sod! Congratulations though, its all down to you and you know it. Positive, brave riding with a lovely solid balance seat every time he takes off. He has totally bloomed in your hands. Well done and keep enjoying your season.
Tracey B

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

I completely agree with your first statement Tracey - what luck to have picked up such a marvellous horse as the only horse I saw from a wanted ad!

I have to be honest and say that he is so bold that he is going to jump the hedges whether I hesitate or not. But I am thoroughly enjoying the puzzled faces of the people who believed that Jazz refusing and breaking fences left, right and centre was me. They can't fit the picture of the rider they see now jumping hedge after hedge with the one having problems with 2 feet high hunt fences last season.

The ones who saw Radar early on, when he wouldn't jump a thing in company, are seriously confused. As far as they are concerned they saw me "ruining another horse" and failed to realise I was in fact "making" a baby. They know now!

C

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Nicola he'll do some cross country next summer if we can find any worth doing. I somehow think 2ft6 of pallets tied together with string are not going to float his boat or mine!

He's clearly a horse who could event next year too if I wanted. It's nice to know I have a choice, but I think I've left that behind me now.

He's well and happy this morning, not a mark on him or any thorns anywhere that I can find. I "should" ride Jazz now, but somehow I think it may not happen.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home