NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Oh I had a HORRIBLE shock this morning. Jazz slightly drags his left hind toe when he starts work. He's always done it, but this can be a sign of a problem of course. I was grooming him today and found a hot, spavin-like lump on the inside of his hock. I pressed it and there was no reaction, as is normal for a spavin. I felt as sick as a pig. Jazz's dressage career was disappearing down the plughole as fast as my bathwater did.
I called SH and we went out onto the road to do a flexion test. I put a tight hock hold on for a whole minute and he trotted Jazz away. Not a sign of lameness at all. If he had spavin, he'd have been limping for twenty yards. As we took him back to his stable a beam of full sunlight fell on the inside of his hock - and showed a very faint mark in the middle of the lump - a speedycut mark from the other foot. The daft bugg*r had only kicked himself messing around in the field!
Talking of messing around, do anyone else's horses try to twitch each other? I have never seen it before, but this pair grab at each others lips or chin, twist and put a twitch on each other! The one with the twitch starts getting those half-closed eyes as the endorphins flood their brain - it is very odd to see them doing it in the field.
Radar has gone up a HUGE step in his training. As always after not schooling for a few days, he was pretty full of himself. But for the second time in a row, he trotted without any throwing himself around for ten minutes first. In fact he was so good I tried for canter and he did some really quite acceptable 20m circles on each rein too. It only took him three or four months longer than expected, but we can't all be Einstein, can we :-))))) ?
C

4 Comments:
Frankenstein's monster might be more apt than Einstein to describe Radar. It's not so much his brain as his body that's slow. He's been lurching around for so long on his own that all of his muscles, nerves and reactions had to be reprogrammed. Even when his brain comprehends, he probably can't always get his body to respond. I think he is doing remarkably well for such a big boy.
Scary with Jazz. Fortunately you seem to have found the cause for a very upsetting sight. Whew!
I'm not sure about the twitch thing, as most of the time my guys aren't close enough to me when they play for me to see, but there is definitely some kind of "lip wrestling" thing that goes on. Could be just what you are describing. (They stop playing when they see me, preferring my "amusing" company instead, especially if they can find some way to interfere with whatever it is I am trying to do out there.)
I'd certainly call Radar "Lurch" Jean, very appropriate!
:-)
not seen that lip thing at all ...
glad jazz only has a speedycut, that must have been VERY scary....
Worst false alarm I've had in a looonnnngggg time Claire.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home