THIS is why ......
First, Jazz has just done the best test he has ever done. Consistent head carriage, submissive, light and bouncing - beeeeeooooootiful work.
Next, it was indoors with a gallery and a glass walled cafe right alongside with people moving about and talking. There were jumps in two corners as well. He ignored the cafe completely (AMAZING!!!!!) and spooked mildly at the jumps in one corner.
So ..... why did he score 58% ????
Well, the judge was someone who used to train me and she has never forgiven me for stopping training with her. Another horse there scored one point higher on every movement. He was on the forehand throughout the canter and frequently four-time too. His trot was working, not collected as specified. He cannot do medium. He fell into both canter/trot transitions and he trotted into the simple change. In case you think I may be a bit biased look up Whiterose Strandwolf on BE and you will see that even with an Olympic rider on his back Wulfie cannot do a decent dressage test to save his life. (Penalties are missed points - ie a penalty score of 40 is a 60% dressage.) It's not his fault, he jumps like a stag but he moves like the choppy cob his mother is. BUT - Wulfie and his rider are trained by the judge.
Nevertheless, I am THRILLED with Jazz. I would be cross about the judge, but it is so patently laughable that Wulfie was given 7 for his paces and Jazz 6 that there is no point. I REALLY enjoyed riding the test and I feel game to go affiliated at Medium and see what we can do. Everyone had their eyes on him, ogling his wonderful movement and I am terribly proud of him today :-)))
C
Anyone who wants a copy of the whole test on DVD let me know and where to send it. He's ready to be seen in public !!

9 Comments:
OOoh...been there, done that. Not necessarily with a judge who knew but but watching from the opposite side where people were scored higher by a judge who knew them. (Even sat as a scribe for a judge who so commented when a rider came into the arena.)
Jazz looks fabulous in the pictures. I can see why you would be pleased. A 58% would not normally be a bad score for a first time out at a new level, but those pics look far better than that. And, I certainly trust your evaluation of how the test went.
One of the reasons I started riding dressage was to escape the politics of the hunter judging. Seems to have followed me.
But, Jazz's overall behavior certainly should thrill you. With all those distractions and the evil jumps in the corner, and the milling people in the gallery. That is one impressive show of concentration on his part. Top score in anyone's book!!
And you position is much improved. Combo of the new saddle and a good trainer to help you is making quite a difference. I'd love to see the test, but don't send a video. Maybe if you send it to someone with a high speed connection over there, they can post it for you. The stills are super!
You should be delighted! Sorry about the judging situation, but I guess that happens in all disciplines.
Shades of Olympic Figure Skating judging. It is sad that people have no integrity. It is good that you can still be pleased with your "REAL"l results.
Ooops. And I just re-read that Wulfie and rider are trained by the judge? Here in the USA, that would be a serious conflict of interest. Technically, Wulfie should have been shown HC...and not scored as part of the class at all. Eck. I hate when something like that happens--definite breach of professional ethics.
YAY! well done you AND exceptionally well done Jazz.
and yes please to the DVD - I think you have my address? or I can send you a prepaid label....good at that! if you tell me how much for the stamps....
Even in affiliated competition (today wasn't but she is a listed judge) there is no rule against being judged by your own trainer Jean. I'm nto suggesting that she consciously did what she did, I think it was very biased, but completely unconscious.
Can you email me your address again Claire I didn't keep it. I'll pay the postage as long as you tell me what you think!
ER I am thrilled to bits with my unbiased judge - the video recording doesn't lie and it's the best test he has ever strung together by a long margin, and in very difficult conditions to boot.
I AM delighted Kate, absolutely delighted. We just need better medium and real extended trot and we can go Medium and start doing half pass and shoulder in tests.
C
bloomin' brill! he looks fab - and so grown up to ignore the horse-eating monsters in the arena
B*g**r the judge - but I'm told its a heck of a lot worse in the world of showing, judges placing those who will judge them the following week!
I like the idea of making those trained by the judge go HC - there will always be a conflict of interests, no matter how unbiased a judge thinks they are!
As to the aff medium? - go for it!
Hmmm and I though judges were supposed to declare any conflict of interest.
Anyway...yes please to seeing the DVD!
I've just found out that Wulfie was entered late - AFTER the rider knew that her trainer was going to be the judge. Talk about pot-hunting! Everyone was pleased when she didn't win the elementary (she did win the novice) and I wasn't the only one who noticed the judging.
Mandeigh you'll have to remind me of your address, I didn't store it.
I need medium and extended trot Ann, he can do all the rest. I'm thinking of doing one anyway and just accepting very low scores on those movements. Thanks for the encouragement.
C.
Post a Comment
<< Home