Thursday, February 05, 2009

Guess what - it's snowing

That midget fellow can't be trusted with anything left in the barn while he is in there! It all gets tipped over, moved around or spread about. I've even had to tie the water carrier to the wall so that he can't tip it over and empty it. Mind, I don't think we can blame him for the chewing of the wooden cladding supports can we? After all it is six feet up off the floor and I don't think he's old enough to fly yet :-)

I rode Jazz today and he was superb. He is really learning how to sit his weight down on his hocks. He got some really "jumping" shoulder in in trot where he is punching upwards as well as sideways. And he got what felt like some perfect canter to walk. Sonia told me that I should be able to stop his outside hind leg with my seatbone to get the walk, and that's exactly what I've got. Fantastic. So satisfying to learn that "almost jump" into a lower pace that the good dressage horses do.

I opened the gate to let them all out and they just stood there and looked at the field. So I opened the other gate and the barn door and although it was clear that they would rather have been inside, they couldn't quite bring themselves to turn down the freedom of being outdoors. So they milled around between the two, which finally made me really cross because I was freeeeeeeeeeezing, so I chased them out. I shall go and rescue them soon, it's not nice out there!

C

6 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Jazz sounds simply lovely. Tuck may be there eventually. *sigh* Nothing like a good attitude on a horse's part to make the difference.

As for Button the "interior decorator," that was Tucker's job when I first got him. Now Chance has taken over in a big way. But Chance likes to rip as well--fabric sculpture?

I could see Jazz hoisting Button up there to do the chewing...you know. *lol*

No more snow here but bitter cold again. Guess our snow cover has a few more days to hang around. Do try to stay warm and dry yourself. The kids will be much better off having a little exercise outside before luxuriating in the nice cozy barn. Builds character--besides being just plain old good for them physically.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger sarahh said...

Give it a year and i don't doubt Button will find his wings!
My guys dragged us to the field today, and proceeded to roll and roll and roll in the snow. am sure after a while they would have appreciated a barn too though :-)
Excellent to hear how well Jazz is doing, can't wait to see what marks you get with him when you get out and do some tests on him
x

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Sarah I'm not sure how long you have been following this, but I certainly wouldn't hold you breath for Jazz to repeat what he's capable of at home in a competition environment :-)

I know that PJ and Toby have already infected you with the joy of riding a really capable horse Jean, so you understand how I felt today.

I have a WONDERFUL story about Button playing football to tell you tomorrow!!!

C

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is very cold but the NE of England seems to be missing the snow at the minute. I thought the littlin would keep you entertained he sounds such a character.
Jazz just goes from strength to strength with Sonia its funny but when you click with an instructor you seem to progress so quickly. I made a promise to myself before Christmas if I didnt start riding my horse I would sell him - happy to say we are in our sixth week and going strong - having a lesson every week - still spooks at the buses though!

Anne

 
At 10:54 AM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Well done Anne! I think a bus is probably an acceptable excuse for a little look Anne - hopefully he'll stop as you get more confident nothing desperate is going to happen.

C

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger sarahh said...

maybe Jazz will suprise you, now he's a big growed up hunter, by showing those dressage judges just what he's capable of. its a nice thought anyway :-D
if not, what fun to be able to enjoy it at home

 

Post a Comment

<< Home