Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The gear is all here

Rocky is now wearing a flourescent pink bridle, the saddle and has four violent pink vetrap bandages between his knees that I was sold at £1 cost price when I told her it was for charity. The vetrap is 4 inches wide, which will be enough to bandage his cannon bones without overlapping it, so one 4.5 metre roll should do at least 2 events. Much easier than bandages.

When it's not minus 5 with a windchill to minus 10, I'll try it all on him and take you a photo. Meanwhile, although the yard had been cleared of the overnight snow, there is a third of a mile of packed snow to get up the hill to the main road even if no more falls tonight. So my lesson with Sonia tomorrow is in grave doubt.

This morning, the boys were hanging around the gate and not going into the field. So I went to fetch them. Jazz came to me first so I put Button's headcollar around the top of his neck and led him in. The other two followed. Then Zippy took fright at SH clearing snow and turned and ran, and so did Jazz, now trailing 8 feet of lead rope from his neck.

The big boys were uppity then, and I couldn't catch them, but I got Button with a rope around his neck and led him toward the barn. Once he realised that he was going back inside out of the wind, he broke into a clipping trot, pulled away from me and ran into the barn! Bless him, he couldn't have made it clearer where he wanted to be :-)))

Of course the other two couldn't let him have something they didn't have, so in they went too, and everyone had a jolly good canter around. And then I was able to rescue Button's little headcollar from Jazz's neck just before he broke a new lead rope by treading on it.

I am so glad to have the barn, it takes all the pressure off keeping them in in this weather. I have to go outside and cart water now, there are no taps running. Thank goodness we have a spring running through the yard or I would be traipsing up and down to the kitchen sink with buckets.

C

6 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We never got the snow...not fair!

I love Rocky!! I always wanted a rocking horse, I bet my dad probably wishes he'd got me one of those instead of the real thing.

How cute is Button!

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Claire said...

wouldn't have been enough, mandeigh, you know that!

wish i had something similar to your barn, i have to say....

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Rocky was my 40th birthday present. He is certified to carry 16 stone, and he cost more than several horses that I have bought! He has my birth and marriage certificates and my life story sealed inside him so that someone can find it when he eventually gets broken up.

The barn is priceless Claire.

C

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Jean said...

My barn does fine, but I'd be in heaven to have the little indoor riding area you have. Should have thought of that when I built mine. Could have maybe widened the center aisle? Nah, probably would have added way too much to the construction costs and maybe even presented all kinds of building issues.

My set up allows the Boys to decide in or out for themselves. It's kind of a nice situation.

Glad you got Button's halter back in one piece. Losing it to Jazz's hysteria would not have been pretty. Horses are so silly when they spook and just decide to run about willy nilly as if that is going to solve the "scary." Guess instinct to run away just takes over and they can't help themselves.

Once again Button proved to be the common sense of the herd. *G*

 
At 11:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not much snow here today. I was even considering going for a ride tomorrow.

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Even one the size of mine costs £30,000 without any surface for the floor Jean :-0 Too much for me to contemplate if it hadn't already been here as a farm building when the farm was split up and sold off.

Tomorrow is now today Judith, and I have been out with Zippy to my lesson and am sorely tempted to ride Jazz out in this priceless sunshine with no wind, rather than paint the bedroom which is half one colour and half another. I'll bet you had a super ride!

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home