Zoom Zoom
I missed it but I wish I'd seen it!! SH says that he just saw Button, all on his own, come belting into the croft in front of the lounge window, do a loop round it and belt back out again. How can I have missed that, it's not fair!!
The three boys now seem to be the best of mates. Button is boss already and came out of the barn first and told the other two to step back and wait. And they did!
I've trimmed all four of his feet. He's like any two year old, not keen to hold up the back ones, but he can try all his might to snatch it away or stamp it down and he just isn't strong enough! His pointy toes are now all gone and he will have nice little feet once they have grown on a bit. There's a strong deviation line half way down at the moment, and I suspect he grew rather long feet at some stage before they were trimmed.
Jazz's objective this morning was shoulder in in trot with bounce. We got it with frequent half halts with the outside rein, each of which raised his shoulders that bit more. We finished on a walk to canter on each rein, which he is rapidly getting completely consistent with.
Zippy's objective was to go forward consistently and not lock out his back. That took a fair amount of work, and I realised that what works with Sonia there to help with the timing doesn't work at home. If I take the contact as much as Sonia gets me to, and make him work to it, he gets more and more resistant until he bucks. I think it's probably space related - it's OK in 20x40 but not in 10x27. He was good after I got that right, and we did a bit of walk to canter too, which is now making him quite excited.
Now I have to hope that some time today Button will repeat his madcap performance for me to have a laugh at too. SH has just reminded me that the croft is closed with a piece of electric tape to stop the boys going in and he, of course, simply ran straight underneath it!
C

5 Comments:
mmm I told you they are little devils but so funny you cant get mad at them!! The yard hoover every one should have one lol.
Mini's remind me of guineapigs for some reason everything is done at speed and they are all furry. I wonder if he will loose the fluff. The one here never seemed to loose his winter coat, fluff was replaced with more fluff
Anne
SHoud be canter to walk for Jazz, not walk to canter, he's been doing that well for more than a year.
He can stay fluffy if he wants Anne. When the weather gets warm I am going to silicone him all over so the mud doesn't stick too bad.
C
Have to love Button's attitude. He thinks he's "all that" and now so do the big guys. Have to wonder if your little herd stallion raced out expecting his minions to be close behind. *lol* Bet he gave them a talking to when he got back--"Hey, you guys are supposed to follow me!!"
Jazz is becoming a lovely school, isn't he. Quite a contrast to the far more opinionated Zip. I suspect he will always be a bit of a challenge. The important thing is you managed to uncover a way of coping with his resistance on your own. Learning the timing of the corrections just takes some practice. I have no doubt you will figure it out sooner than later.
Zip so reminds me of Tucker--always thinking. Trouble is, we are supposed to be smarter than they are...not so sure sometimes. *G*
I am so glad you decided to continue with your diary, Caroline.
Really, it IS very interesting to hear about your progress with the training.
Re Jazz being the perfect hunter but not wishing to go "cold blooded" across country.
In my, admittedly very limited experience, the very best hunters do have that little bit of caution, that bit of self-preservation that makes them jump what they know they can jump, so either they jump it cleanly, or don't at all. Like a couple of ponies/horses I have had. But they both weren't so good at competitions, because they could and did stop to take a look. But they were very comfortable hunters and made it a real pleasure.
Whereas my most successful eventer did hunt but it was a bit of a white knuckle ride, because he was confident he could jump the moon and didn't always jump or look as carefully as he could. Although I would always say he was my best ever horse, I also had the most serious falls from him, because he thought he knew best! He was much admired by other people as a fearless jumper (and it scares me now when I think what we tackled when I was young and foolish) but even then it could be scarey. He was well behaved, he wasn't dangerous just opinionated.
Jean, Jazz is just reaching a stage that I really enjoy with his work. I lost Tetley just as I reached this point with him, and I'm looking forward, hopefully, to progressing much further yet with Jazz.
I agree with you Judith. The two horses I have hunted most have both been lacking "attack" when cross country on their own, but both superb hunters who looked after themselves and me. Scooby would have been lethal hunting, he would always leap first and look ... never. I think Tetley would have done both brilliantly, but he never got tested.
I'm glad you are enjoying the blog :-)
C
Post a Comment
<< Home