'Owt so funny as folk.
Two more photos from the Boxing Day meet for you. We were back in control with a strap off the breastplate used as a temporary curb - that's why the breastplate is so tight!


Jazz and I have such a great relationship since I discovered his love of hunting and stopped wanting him to be an event horse.
We went farm riding this morning to get a really hard workout into him in case the ground is fit to hunt this Saturday. He hasn't had a good whizz in quite a while - Boxing Day in fact. He was his usual self, taking a good mile or more to warm up before he was happy to jump the fences. Nearly ditching me half way round with a severely sharp last-minute run out. I was forced to lever myself back into the saddle by pushing downwards on the left rein with my left hand on the right hand side of his chest and holding hard to the right rein so the bit didn't just twist his head and make him fall over. It was touch and go :-0000 !!!
Last year that would have made me deeply despondent because it's so clear he won't go out and do a cross country course on his own - he won't start until his blood is well up and we are eliminated before that happens! This year, who cares? - it's not what he's for any more. We had a real fun time together. And he is such a gorgeous person, so loving and cuddly without ever being pushy or nippy. SO SO SO jealous of other people having my attention - so he's back on omeprazole for a week while he gets used to Button.
The little blighter should be here around six. SH and I are unreasonably excited by the prospect of having a shrimp of a horse in the yard! I don't understand my reaction myself, but there we go, "there's 'owt so funny as folk", as my dear old Dad used to say.
I'll post an addendum later to let you know he got here and whether he measures up to the expected cute factor!
C
UPDATE
he's here!
They pulled into the yard in a Discovery - with no trailer on the back. Their trailer had seized wheels when they went to use it. So ..... they put him in the boot of the Disco! Apparently they put his front feet in, and he popped up and they shut the tailgate - what a hoot!!! Jean, a Disco is a long car with two ranks of seats and a "trunk" about three feet long at the back with a tailgate on it, full height.
He is so TINY. Incredibly small!!! And so cute. Cute factor 11/10 With a VERY strong dorsal stripe, a most unusual colour.
The other two are eyes-on-stalks. I left him on the yard so that they could talk to him over the door. They were fine, no squealing. So I took him out of the yard and SH opened their doors and they ran straight past him and straight into the barn. I took him into the barn and he went straight for the food. The other two meanwhile trotted around showing their best paces, but he was unimpressed, far more interested in a bit of dusty mouldy haylage on the floor. I left with him and Zippy eating from the same rack (Zippy reaching right ove the top of him!). I must go out now and check how things are doing.
C

13 Comments:
Ooh - Jazz does indeed make a very fine hunter (when he's under control!). Love the water pic! And as for calling Buttons a shrimp of a horse that just made me laugh! Shetties most definitely put themselves at the top of the herd pecking order. I remember doing my friends horse once when she was on holiday, went to get her in and got mown down by a shetland that wouldn't stop charging me! Brilliant little guard horse!
Louise
You did get the water picture!! Fab. I love the positive expression Jazz has in that one.
Does the hunting season go all year? I'd hate to think Jazz would have to miss out on all the fun for several months while the hunt closed down.
Then again, now that you have found a good dressage intstructor, perhaps the lure of the lettered arena will keep you both happy.
Never had a Shetland to play with, although I did have one pin me against the wall in a stall after I had tried to give his little owners a riding lesson years ago. I think he was really mad at me for making him work under saddle. Adorable little guy, but opinionated to the enth degree.
I'll be looking for the Button update. This should be fun.
Great pics! Makes me definitely want to get out hunting before the season ends!
I have set up a monthly DD for spinal research. i feel that its the least i can do when a 17 year old friend of a friend recently broke her spine in a riding accident and has been told she will never walk again. Here's hoping she will. Its only £3 a month i'm afraid, all i can afford with 2 horses and a job that pays not alot above minimum wage, but gift aid makes it a little more and every little helps, as they say
:-)
Argh!! Is he here yet??
i was once told you will never get a bad Dun. i've never met one yet, hope Button continues that :-D
he's here and you will not BELIEVE how he arrived! But we need our dinner and you'll have to wait.
C
Sarah thankyou so much. Your friend of a friend is unfortunately one of 15-18 people a year who are paralysed by falling off a horse. Add to that another 800 in Great Britain and Northern Ireland with motorcyle, car, diving, rugby and everything else and it's actually a huge problem, since they all live a near-normal lifespan. You friend's friend may walk again, let us hope so. We get closer to a cure every day.
Louise he can be a smart boy when he wants! And Jean, yes, how could I resist the water shot?
C
C
glad to hear he's asrrived - hope the rspca aren't reading this, you know what they're like
have jazz & zip worked out that he is in fact equine?
Mmmm, well I went and checked at nine o'clock and all was calm and happy. But I sat and watched for a while and Jazz's jealously got the better of him, and after he picked Button clean off the floor I reckoned that I had better split them up. So Button is on the yard with a pile of hay and a choice of two stables and the other two are in the barn.
MOre tomorrow.
C
Naughty Jazz! Probably didn't want to hurt him but just show who the boss horse is. Glad you had a separate place for the little mite.
The Discovery is a lot like my Durango except no tailgate--the back door just lifts up. I think...I misspoke before about the pony. At one barn where I boarded, the owner brought a totally unbroke little pony home for his daughter in the back seat of his car. I had to to all the work to get the little critter able to be handled. Don't know if she was a Shetland, but she looked like one. Your story of Button's arrival reminded me.
I take it Button was not too upset by the aerial maneuvers?
Oh my god thats hillarious can just see your face when they let him out the boot!
Naughty Jazz that sounds like something my two would do.AliG pinned a pony down at the new yard within the first hour he was totally looking out for Polo,I seem to spend my life apologising for these types of incidents!
In fairness Jazz's probably not realised Button is an actual horse yet:0
Pics are fabulous!
Very cute. Fab tale I had friends transport two minatures in the back of a transit but yours definately beats that. Button will get his own back on Jazz' knees I am sure lol
We had a shetland (Afectionately known as the Shitland!) and he used to chase the horses around the field they were terrified of him at first and he loved it! (for some reason horses as Nicola sayes dont always realise they are equines too) all you needed was the Benny Hill tune playing it was a hoot!
Anne
I can picture it Anne - I had a rabbit that used to chase my dog when I was a child !
Post a Comment
<< Home