Friday, February 06, 2009

Button signs for Manchester Untied.

I think I have cured Zippy's bucking at home. I also think he needs a darned good gallop, but he can't have one while the ground is like this. He was very keen to canter today, even in the tiny barn, and offering me transitions when I didn't want them. Whe he did strike off, he was squealing and flashing his tail, but he didn't buck once. I think he only kicked out once, and not strongly at that. That's something I never get cross about, it's just because they are young and unbalanced that they kick the inside hind leg out on a canter strike off. He got too excited to do walk to canter so we did trot canter, which he has never done in the barn before. It took a while before he stopped dashing off and stayed "with me", but he got it in the end, and then looked mighty pleased with himself when I told him what a good boy he was.

Now, Button the footballer! Yesterday I brought them in at lunchtime. The two big boys went into the barn out of the biting wind, but Button decided to have a play around the big yard, covered with snow. Jazz and Zippy looked out of the barn door, watching Button root around and find a rolled up haylage wrapper the size of a football, which I had put to one side waiting to go on the rubbish tip. I could hardly stand up for laughing as I watched him pick it up by the string, fling it across the yard, run after it, kick it, bite it, pick it up and fling it again. Zippy and Jazz were dumbstruck at his antics. I still have a smile on my face a day later. The little chap is such a character!!

I realised that I bought him partly because I wanted a dog. But what I wanted was a dog that didn't need taking for walks (because I walk for exercise for me, I don't want to be watching out for a dog while I'm out); didn't live in the house (because of all the dirt and yard smells they bring with them); didn't do sneaky piles of revolting meat-based sticky poo for you to tread in around the yard. But I wanted the interaction of a small, lively, characterful creature who wants to be with me when I am outdoors. Well I got that in spades, he's the best dog ever!!

C

6 Comments:

At 3:49 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Ah, confessions of a wannabe dog owner at last. That explains it.

Now, the question is whether or not Button will start teaching the other guys how to play some of the games. Then you will be a real trouble because the fun will be full size! *G*

Good for Zip. The best part is that he seemed happy once he had it figured out. That should be a big plus on the training scale. Hope the footing improves soon so you can get him out where those big gaits of his will have a chance to stretch a bit. The small area is good for basics, but sometimes they just need that room to blossom.

Did you ever think of signing Button up for the local football team? *lol*

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Duh, after I posted, I realized that signing for the local team is exactly what you imply in your blog heading. Somehow my brain did not connect.

So, what position is he going to play? He'd make a great tackle...at least if he had to knock some guys out of the way. Kicker? Ought to be great at that. And I'd wager he could outrun most of the players too.

And he'd be so adorable the opposition would be falling all over themselves just at the sight of him. (a la Puss in Boots in "Shrek")

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Claire said...

video.....where is it?

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Of course, Jean, when I say football you are thinking of a game more like what we call Rugby. Actually, it was rugby that Buttiebut was playing, since he was picking the "ball" up and not just kicking it.

Wish I had one Claire! I'd love to watch him do it again.

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Jean said...

Thought it was either rugby or soccer. Around here football is another sport altogether.

Just thinking...wonder if you could train Button for agility in your "spare" time. The tunnels might be a challenge, but I could see him doing the little jumps, a ramp, a well built teeter totter, and the weave poles. Wouldn't that be cute at one of the fundraisers? The pink tack is precious, but a dog and pony show without the dog???

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger cptrayes said...

GMTA Jean, I was wondering if I could teach him dog agility as a laugh.
C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home