Thursday, January 08, 2009

Trumpet fanfare!!

Oh I'm a happy girl.

Jazz has just done simple changes inside the barn. This is the first time he has ever done a simple change, which for those of you who don't do them, are very far from simple! It is canter/walk 1-4 strides/canter on the other lead. And not only that, Tetley, who had simple changes down to a fine art, could never master doing one in the small confines of the barn. I'm so chuffed with the orange boy's progress, I really am.

C

4 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Fantastic. Been working on them with Tucker. Before he got the sore hocks, he had them. You are right, they are very difficult. For me, the hard half is the transition down, not the transition back up. Balance, engagement, and obedience all have to work together.

Story goes, they are the basis for the flying change. Not quite sure they are an essential, but in the US they show up in the 2nd level tests and flying change shows up in 3rd level. I do believe, that with both PJ and Toby the simples were solid before I started the flying. (But it's been Soooooo long, I can't quite remember.*sigh*)

One thing you do need for the flying is a good, pure, immediate response on the canter depart, because they flying change is essentially a canter depart from the canter. So, I should think the perfect obedience to the simple would help develop that.

No matter what, way cool!!! It is so great when your horse makes a breakthrough like that.

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

Yay, what fun! Most every ride I do canter - trot - canter changes with Tetley but not very often walk - canter transitions. He does do walk to canter beautifully but we are a bit sloppy with canter to walk. (Sounds like Tucker.) Jazz must be very balanced and collected to do that in a small space.

ML

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Claire said...

wow. well done both of you.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

He's a good boy Claire :-)

Me too Jean, the only difficult bit is the down transition. I love walk to canter and he gets it every time.

ML for some reason I always forget to do C-T-C changes. Not my favourite exercise when C-W-C is available, I guess.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home