Monday, April 14, 2008

Worth his weight in gold.

Bless his cotton socks. What a diamond pony George is. I rang this morning to be told the cross country course was too wet. I booked a showjumping arena and then realised immediately that was the wrong thing and rang and cancelled. Then I faced up to the fact that I was pretty scared of jumping fixed fences and I had to get on with it before it built up into something I couldn't get over (pun intended!). So I rang again and booked the farm ride, which is all weather.

And we have had a whale of a time! He saw the first fence and went immediately into canter and jumped it. Then he sensed my hesitation and had run-outs at the next three (might have been four) but jumped them nicely second time. Then I got my act together and realised that he was going in bent and pushing his left shoulder out because I wasn't sending him on, and that instead of trying to pull him straight I had to push him straight. From then on - WOW. The boy can jump, and how! His technique has improved enormously and he pops a fence with a huge spring with no trouble at all. We did the lot, up to a metre high. We loved it, both of us.

A friend caught me up half way round and we rode together for a while, which was great experience for him. He will hack along nicely with another horse, he will canter on in front and jump, and he will follow behind and jump. He's also found a lovely rolling canter which is sheer comfort to go with. He's a diamond, a real gem. I seriously doubt whether I could have got back to jumping fixed fences this year, if at all, without him. I'm tempted just to keep him, and already planning how we can get him to Pre-novice (which would pretty much mean abandoning Jazz's jumping for this year).

We may also have a clue to his schooling behaviour. He loves going forward, he just lives for it. Mandeigh suggested a while ago that his "tension" problem might be that he just wanted to get on with things, and I rejected that suggestion because he felt scared to me. I've changed my mind after today. I don't think that he is scared at all. I think he just wants to GO and the tension that I feel is actually frustration. It explains why praising him every time he takes a good step or two doesn't make him carry on with good stuff -because he wants to go. It also explains why he just "stops" the tension after a while - he's suddenly got the message that a gallop is out of the question and he needs to "work" instead. When we get dry enough weather to get on the outdoor surface I think he may be a horse that you start a schooling session with a few circuits of "standing up" canter.

What a day. I feel so relieved that my eventing career isn't over after all. I'm grinning, and I think George is too.

C

ps Jazz's eye is better. It's slow going, but the sore is definitely smaller and has no pus in it.

12 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

What a find he was sounds absolutely brilliant...how can you possibly think about selling him?!?!:))))

Polo is very forward get on with it type and gets frustrated being what he considers 'held back' which can get him wound up...makes total sense to me.
Maybe why lateral work helps rather than stress them more because there arent going forward as such?

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Jean said...

What a great post! You've made my day.

Once had a Hungarian trainer who told me he had all his students gallop their dressage horses for at least 3 minutes every day. Built up stamina and helped them go forward. Another trainer suggested warming a Thoroughbred up in the canter/gallop. I often do so with Tucker after a little walk to get his muscles warmed up.

George may well be a candiate for that approach. If so, then you have found the "key" you've been seeking.

Nothing like an eager, happy jumper to restore your confidence. George the Gem is proving to be just the right medicine. And, he gave you a bit of a challenge, so it wasn't all so simple. That's an even bigger plus because you rode through his disobedience and overcame that obstacle in your brain as well.

Maybe you could have called George, "Heaven Sent."

 
At 4:22 PM, Blogger Muriel said...

What a great post!

Linda's new trainer has teh same problem with Linda. I keep telling her to "let Linda go for 15-20 minutes, then asking her to walk.

Soem horses have to move their feet.

I love your post ^-^ I am grining for you two :-)

 
At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should have called him after the Roald Dahl story George's Marvellous Medicine - certainly seems as though he is a horse that does you good!

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

That would have been a great name!

I'm still chuffed. I knew you all would be too. He's come in still smiling tonight too.

I'm working tomorrow so everyone gets another day off.

C

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Update on Jazz's eye is that it is all healed. It still looks funny because his eyelids are black, and his eye is white, but the scar from the ulcer is pink. I hope that it will black up in time, but I'm relieved that it's all clear now.

More snow this morning!

C

 
At 10:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant - just the tonic!!!
really chuffed for you.

Cassie

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:-)

 
At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well who was anon then if you're you Cassie????? Thanks, we are still chuffed for ourselves :-)

Knew you'd be pleased Mandeigh.

C

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Claire said...

excellent news (i thought i'd posted on monday, but clearly didn't..)

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Nic Barker said...

Yay for George, and the power of horses who LOVE to jump :-)

You'll be pleased to know that Sarah Braithwaite is taking on Foxy, the navicular horse whose owner came to you, and you then sent on to me (!)...

I had no space, as we had another big navicular horse come last week, and Sarah reckons she needs a jumping pony, as her Arab is more like Jazz than Felix ;-)

Should be a fun season for you and George, and I reckon Sarah will be joining you once she has got Foxy right...he sounds like another cracking little horse...I may have to trek up north to join your barefoot team chasing brigade at some stage :-)

 
At 4:17 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

As I recall Foxy was too small for me otherwise I'd have had him. I'm pleased for his owners, because they just wanted the best for him and had been told nothing could be done except put him down :-(

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home