Entry in the post
George's first entry is in the post. Rodbaston in May. We took him showjump training this afternoon. Good job we didn't have it booked for this morning because is was pelting down with snow until lunchtime. We went outdoors this time, to the place where he has previously done the farm ride. He seemed to remember it and was quite excited to be there.
It took a few minutes for him to settle, and then we jumped. Low to start, to get my confidence up, not his. He was wonderful, keen, happy and with a lovely pop. SH put the fences up and he was the same, and up again and he got even better. The more he jumped the more confident and balanced he got. He is so easy to train.
It will help a lot when he is happier to jump from canter. Today he was trotting in then cantering the last two strides. I think that will turn to canter full time soon, but if I ask him to canter in he gets unbalanced and goes flat.
He scared himself a couple of times hitting poles with his hind feet, but he learnt from it and did them properly the next time. He learns so fast - watch and learn Jazz!! We ended doing a spread and an upright on 2ft 11, which is pretty much all we need for Intro, so he's more than half cooked already :-) I was shattered. I've lost three pounds in two days with this stomach bug and I spent the rest of the day sleeping!
C

6 Comments:
Trotting into a fence, and then cantering. Sounds more and more as if he did some hunting at some time.
Some dealer friends of my sister would only ever trot into a fence out hunting. We bought a pony from them, and I remember watching as she slowed down and trotted into anything she hadn't seen before, but she always jumped it.
She did eventually speed up, and ended up at the Riding Club championships doing the cross country within the time.
Judith
He's fast when he goes for it Judith, so he's galloped at some point and that suggests hunting too. Once he's confident to canter into his fences he's going to be so much fun!!
He is the first horse I have had who jumps spreads much better than he jumps uprights. He makes a super shape as he looks down for the back pole, and really pings over them.
C
can't believe you're still getting snow! it's a nightmare. and you probably shouldn't have ridden anyway but well done george again!
What a great day you must have had despite the snow!
George will get the concept of cantering to a fence rather quickly, I'd think, and you do need that for the show jumping phase. Fine to go galloping over most of the cross country jumps, but that doesn't work so well on a tighter course.
Poor you with the stomach virus. Do try to take it a little easy for a few days until you get your full strength back.
I hope you get better soon from stomac bug. In teh last 4 months I had 3 stomac bug. Last one, last week :-O! I sympathise.
Well done George, just reading your post makes me want to jump with ... George. What a great horse!
Snow again today Claire!
He learns so fast Jean, I think he may even canter to his fences next time. He is cantering away from them - he started off doing it too fast, but he soon learned that there might be another to come, or that in any case I was going to steady him up. In spite of his stockiness, he is easy to rebalance and has a very soft mouth.
Muriel there are native English speakers in this country who can't match your command of our language! And I agree, he's great :-)
Post a Comment
<< Home