Wet snow this time
Still snowing here, but a bit wetter stuff than yesterday. Rain tomorrow maybe - oh deep joy.
George got the day off. Zippy is still in turned-away mode until they go out full time or I am desperate to ride him. So Jazz and I schooled. We were going to go out for a hack, but although the sun was shining I didn't trust it, and soon enough we had hail and sleet.
Jazz was a very good boy, very loose and stretchy today :-) We just did some walk work, but all real quality stuff. Fast and slow, shoulder in, travers, and then some half pass. He was very gobby today. He often mouths the bit but today he was very unsettled. He was also squitting a bit,(I know how he feels :-), so the grass is coming through whether spring is here or not.
He's a joy to ride, he's going to have to stay. The quality of his work and his power and ability are just addictive. I got off at one point to clear up some poo and I saw him from a distance and thought "good grief, how have you let a horse put on that much weight?". He looked rather fat for a horse of mine, which are normally lean. I went up to him and felt his ribs just in front of his hips. No fat there at all. I felt his main ribcage - a nice covering but ribs easily felt. So he's not fat at all, in fact most people would probably want more weight on him. He's just BIG. I'll get you a photo, I wonder if it will show up?
C

7 Comments:
Wonderful to hear that Jazz has truly won you over. When you have a talented horse, somehow he begins to tell you what he's going to do with your future. *G* If Jazz never quite meets your expectations as an eventer, he surely will as a dressage horse.
Trust me. Serious dressage training is a constant, intriguing and physical challenge.
In the meantime, just enjoy each of your Boys for their individuality. You certainly do have some contrasts there.
yes please to a photo...I just found a vid of you the other night...dressage with Tet's and Scoobs!
i thought i saw you say you were going keep zip in mild work - every couple of days ago - a few months ago? is it george that has made you change the plan?
Now C, repeat after me ... we have already done this exercise, but I feel it necessary again ... so please repeat after me :
Jazz is a WarmBlood, Jazz is a WB Jazz is a WB, Jazz is a WB, Jazz is a WB ...
NOT a TB.
He may look chunky but he is lean. They have more "meat" than TB ^-^
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
.
I'm pretty sure now that he will never meet my expectations as an eventer Jean :-) When we bought him I can remember saying that I could imagine doing Henbury (a local Novice) on him. There's no way I'll be jumping novice on him, I'm pretty sure of that - those fences are WAY too big for a horse that isn't brave.
Crikey Mandeigh, I sold Scooby three years ago!
Claire it's lots of things. The weather hasn't been good enough to get them out and riding three as well as doing stables is too much work. George needs much more training than we thought he would because of his promotion to no.1n horse. And Zippy is the same whether he is ridden once a day or once a month, so there didn't seem to be any point.
Zippy's a warmblood too but he isn't ever going to look like a barn door Muriel :-) Chunky is the right word!
C
Post a Comment
<< Home