Sunday, February 03, 2008

Dead and gone

Well I can tell that the infection is right under control now because Jazz's foot has dried right up and parts of his heel have turned black and peeled off. He's obviously going to have a bit of horn in the heel area which will regrow with a bit missing, but my previous experience of that is that they don't notice it. Even if he does, where it is will have regrown down to the ground within two months anyway.

I trimmed his feet today and he has a whole centimetre of hoof wall before the tightest white line you've ever seen. It makes me smile to look at it. His front feet don't match - he has a lower heel on the one with the scar, but individually they are pretty darned fine feet, and they look a pair unless you start looking closely. Or if you trim him you realise that he grows toe faster on the foot with the scar than the other one. I'm hoping that they will eventually come to be a pair, but when he gave himself laminitis in that lead foot by bolting on the road last year it set it back for months.

I haven't ridden today, I have been out looking at a pony for some friends. He was a nice little chap and I think they will buy him if he passes a vetting. I'm off outside again now to go squirting a load more peroxide into Jazz's foot.

C

2 Comments:

At 12:40 AM, Blogger Jean said...

Boy, that post title scared me for a minute until I realize it was those nasty old germs pestering Jazz's hoof. *G* Good going.

Hope the pony works out. Nothing like pairing a child up with the perfect mount. I can't think of anything much better.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

Sorry Jean, has your heart stopped thumping now? The pony was a super little fellow, pure Connemara. He was just cheeky "enough" if you know what I mean. He's not brain dead but he's not too much for a confident first owner. He's been well schooled and well handled and he knows his manners. He's not show quality (as the owner claims) because he's far too close in his movement, but for what the child wants, I think he's pretty much ideal. It was fun helping them.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home