The Christmas Fairy
Jazz had the day off today because he worked hard yesterday. Zippy and I went out for a ride in our new fashion statement, dressed with more razzmatazz than a Christmas Fairy.
I am fed up with the way that car drivers are getting more and more careless of me when I am out on my tiny local roads - so I bought him a sheet that covers most of his body in flourescent yellow. And I am wearing a coat off ebay, new but ex-police, which is an absolutely top quality breathable waterproof thing with blindingly effective reflective stripes, also in flourescent yellow. It cost the extortionate sum of £13 including postage :-) I found a flourescent yellow knitted hat in a cheap shop the other day for £2 and I pulled onto my crash hat. They definitely saw me today! Strangely, they seemed to treat me as if we were much bigger than usual, which was a welcome result.
But what behaviour again from Zippy. It's the first time he has been out on a hack in who knows how long (I certainly can't be bothered to re-read weeks of blog to find out - any volunteers ? :-) No-one in their right minds would put a flourescent yellow exercise sheet on a horse of his age for the first time on a windy day and just take him out for a hack with it flapping away on each side of him. Never having claimed to be in my right mind, and knowing what a wonderful fellow Zippy is, I did just that and he did just what I expected - absolutely nothing.
He was also very good about the hack in general, much more comfortable to ride. I think Judith was right when she suggested that his recent tension might have been about teething - he spat a tooth out after eating about a week ago, so now I have three of his. I've never collected more than one tooth from one horse before!
And more good news - the lengthened trot which you saw in the pictures is turning into his trot of choice. I don't mean he's rushing along. I don't mean I am asking him to lengthen. What I mean is, THAT trot appears to be Zippy's WORKING trot. Goodness only knows what his extension is going to be like :-00000.
He had a little fuss about the same bridge Jazz does, and was seriously worried by the horse eating hens at the house (Jazz had told him that he's seen them eat a horse!) but such a difference between the two of them. Jazz insists he knows what to do (get away) and is a devil to persuade otherwise. Zip trembles and mentally turns to me and says "what shall I do, what shall I do-o-o". I say "they're OK, trust me" and he goes straight past them quietly. He is going to make a superb, brave eventer if he can jump. And WHAT a dressage horse if he can't!!
C.

3 Comments:
Uh oh, you're turning to the "dark side" by suggesting Zip as just a dressage horse....Ms. Eventing Fanatic. *VBWG* Just have to laugh. Lockie Richards said as he got older he got smarter and gave up the eventing in favor of dressage.
Actually, I used to love cross country myself, but I'm the kind who has to have the right horse--one that has the courage I lack. I would never have been able to cope with Jazz's problems myself and would have retired to the "lettered rectangle" with him too long ago.
I do suspect, though that Zip is going to prove a brave and competent jumper too. How ever are you going to event the both of them when they are up to speed?
It's difficult Jean. I have tried eventing two horses on the same day and all it did was turn what was supposed to be a pleasure into something that felt like work. We compromised in the end by buying a lorry with sleeping facilities and travelling further afield with Tetley while competing Scooby closer to home. It still felt like too much, as if it came to rule our lives to be going somewhere every weekend.
It's a problem to be solved if we ever get to it. I'm not averse to finding one or other of them a good home to go on to in a couple of years if it was right for them and for me. You never know what the future holds.
Meanwhile the plan is for Zippy to do local stuff in the latter half of this season. I'll eat my hat if he's not ready to affiliate next year.
C
.
Post a Comment
<< Home