It's sleeting, hailing and snowing by turns. It's down to zero and has been nearly all day. And there's a ferocious wind! I wasn't keen to ride anyway, and that sorted me out altogether!
Jazz is only slightly lame, and only then in trot, but his foot is truly the most stinky, thick infection that I have ever come across in a foot. It has infected his leg (not just made it puffy, that's soft swelling which goes down when the hole is open. This is hard swelling, which he is only getting on top of slowly.) I am keeping a very close watch on it to make sure it doesn't travel any further up his leg. Meanwhile he is being a really good boy about me shooting hydrogen peroxide into the hole twice a day to flush it all out. It was a lot cleaner tonight than it was this morning, but it still stinks more than it normally would after 24 hours of being open :-(
Zippy asks very politely if we could possibly turn the thermostat up a notch or two.
C

3 Comments:
That is disturbing about Jazz's infection. Would wrapping his leg help at all? Keeping my fingers crossed as well that it clears up before you have any more complications.
Zip would have loved my house last night. The furnace went off because it was low on water. Quite brisk as it was in the low 20's outside.
We are supposed to get precipitation tomorrow. I am NOT looking forward to it. Winter weather is not my favorite.
/tbh i'd be inclined to get some antibiotics into him...
I can't think why wrapping his leg up would help it Jean.
Claire, antibiotics are dangerous for foot abcesses. The blood supply is poor and the abcess gets enough to suppress it and let it heal inside but not kill it off altogether. It can then get really entrenched and very nasty. In medical parlance, antibiotics are contra-indicated. I know vets that will give them, either to get the cash or to shut up a whingeing owner, but they really shouldn't unless the infection is getting out of control. Jazz's leg is improving and there is no call for antibiotics while he improves, far from it, they could cause an awful lot of trouble.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home