Back on track - chooo woooo!!
I girded my loins, put spurs on my feet, changed the stick for a dressage whip and we tried again. Showjump training of course!
Superhubby left a white filler propped by the side of our warm up cross pole. Eeejitbrain was dumb enough to pretend that he was scared of it, plus another fence with a white filler up the other end of the arena. Now we have jumped white fillers for the last year, so he was trying to get one over on me and was stupid enough to have let me know by picking the wrong fence to cop a wobbler at!
He backed off the filler while warming up, still only in trot. I cracked him with the whip, and he went forward. When I say I cracked him, I never took my hand off the reins once, this is just a flick, though sometimes a hard one depending on what was warranted at the time by his behaviour.
Having established that forward meant forward, we jumped the cross pole. He was very sticky, to the point of faults for disobedience, but not once today did he actually refuse a fence. THAT'S A FIRST!!! Ever. 15 whole months and finally we get a lesson with no refusals, I feel like breaking open a bottle of champagne! When he backed off, I just sat and flicked and flicked and did not let up until he moved forwards, when he reward was that the whip stopped. He got the message. Maybe a minute?
Then we did the warm-up upright. He was not focussed and was getting too close and knocking it down. But previously he would have refused and now he is just misjudging and jumping anyway. A BIG IMPROVEMENT.
Then the warm up spread. This was only a short distance off the wall and he also had to come past the filler, which he was still spooking at. I could feel that his mind was back towards the filler and had to flick him with the whip to make it clear that the only option acceptable was forwards over the fence. He did the fence, quite well too. THIS IS REAL PROGRESS.
Superhubby rebuilt the cross pole fence with the filler in it, and while he was actually in the process of doing that I brought Jazz round again to do the spread, now at a proper height for the first time. That was huge provocation, but he did it.
We picked five fences and did them as a course. I was busy making it clear what I wanted, and had to engage the spurs now and then to get proper forward motion, but he did the course, and nicely too. I went for a different four fences with the double at the end. The biggest double we have ever tried. In spite of a difficult bend coming out of a corner, he did it brilliantly first time.
With a huge grin on all our faces, we took a break. Superhubby put five fences down to 2ft 6 or less, and when we started again I jumped them all. Then he took Jazz's travel rug and put it on one of them. I jumped one fence first and turned to it without letting him look at it beforehand. HERE WE GO! He went bananas backing off it, so I just sat there and flicked him and flicked him until he went forward and jumped it. It must have taken about a minute, no more.
I came round again. He balked seriously several strides away. I flicked him and used the spurs and he hopped it. Third time round he made the decision for himself to ignore it and came in and popped it nicely.
SH moved the rug while Jazz's back was turned. We came in and jumped the fence that had it on but now didn't, fine, and round the corner to a spread that now had it on. One tiny hesitation and he decided that making a fuss wouldn't be worth the effort, and jumped.
The rug mysteriously moved again. This time, he couldn't be bothered even to register the fact that it was there. Now THAT's progress. Next week we will do the same again, but use a flourescent exercise sheet.
I'm smiling today. Jazz is still the most difficult horse that I have ever trained. It's taking all our ingenuity and skill to work out what he is doing, how he has (or has not) progressed, and what the appropriate action now is. For example, a month ago the whip flicking would have made him more obstinate, but now it is appropriate.
But we are really getting places now. Part of the key, I am sure, will be to continue to challenge him with "frightening" things at home, to get it through to him that he can, and must, rely on me to tell him what is and is not dangerous. Roll on some cross country practice to see if we can get the same improvement outdoors.
C

7 Comments:
Way to go!! This is really exciting progress. The fact that he didn't get to really refuse is significant. Soon he is going to realize it's just not worth it to make all that extra effort arguing with you and get on with the program.
You are so lucky to have SH there as ground person. Now he needs to bring some even stranger things along on the next trip to add to the jumps. Flourescent rug is great. How about some kind of greenery, flowers, or something else you might encounter in a course?
I like too that Jazz is also accepting your driving aids (the whip) so well. Hopefully my Tuck will as well. Having that extra "leg" now and then can be so important.
Three cheers and three cheers more! The baby is growing up a little more each day.
Progress !
Tell me about SH Jean!!! I told him on the way home that I would find it very difficult without his emotional support and absolutely impossible physically.
Tis innit Mandeigh?!
C
good oh! hope he remembers what a cross country fence looks like!
I hope I do!
C.
Hurrah! That is great progress.
Interesting that you say "A month ago flicking him with the whip would have made him obstinate" because lots of people would have walloped him for refusing small jumps and being naughty. Which in Jazz's case would probably have been a disaster as he would have just fought you.
Now he KNOWS what is required he is relying on you to give him that YES you jump - now!
It wouldn't be so interesting if it was easy!
Judith
Michaela (previous post) you have such a devious mind! No wonder you like mules :-)
Judith you have it spot on. He had to understand that he was capable of jumping before he could understand that he must jump even if he is distracted. It took until recently to get there, and now suddenly he is capable of jumping even when wholly destracted by something. He knows that, I know that and it has made a breakthrough.
Jazz was odd last night. He would not leave Zippy. He box walked while eating and he failed to finish his food. This morning he is very quiet and deferring to both Zippy and to me. I think he is struggling to come to terms with his loss of status, and understanding that his opinion is not as important as he thought it was. I feel sorry for him, but I'm sure it is the right thing for him in the long run.
They've both had the day off today. Jazz did enough yesterday and the weather is foul again and the little barn is cramping Zippy's style.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home