Monday, October 29, 2007

Three strikes and you're out!

Jazz was in a very stupid mood today. First there was a hatchback with the back up at the reservoir car park. A horse eating hatchback obviously. He wouldn't pass it until the back was put down and even then he was a dizzy fool.

Next he wouldn't turn at the triangle to go down the road where he had seen the cows. Bear in mind he did this with very little trouble only 2 days ago. Today was a much bigger fight. I won in the end.

And he played the fool again at the house with the hens and fought quite hard to go back home again. He didn't win but it was touch and go whether I jumped off and put the chifney on him.

What an eejit. I hope these are just the last desperate throws of baby temper before he starts to behave as he was when we had to stop work for the operation. I'm sure he learnt a lot by not winning, but when is he going to stop trying!?!

Zip's had the day off as I was short of time. It's nice to have a baby that doesn't need the work. He was spitting food down his nose while he had the infection last week. Now that's gone, the food has too. It looks like the research I did which suggested that it's strongly related to upper airway infections is right.

Jazz has coughed only once since he started work and that was yesterday when he breathed in some food. He never coughs with the exercise he's doing, which is great news.

C.

6 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, Blogger Claire said...

you know, reading about jazz not wanting to go here there etc. reminds me of molly the same.... I don't think I'm as strong willed a rider as you, or as strong a rider as you ....if i could do rein back, i would try that under the willow, but i never did work out how to do that...

 
At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lean forward and raise your bum off the saddle. Don't grip with your knees, keep your weight in your stirrups, but slide your lower leg, way way back and up behind you and wiggle your heels. Hold the rein but don't pull it. She should walk backwards - it's an inbuilt aid.

Try it and see and let us know.

C

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Jean said...

Well, at least you won. I do sympathize because that's the kind of thing Tucker does when he gets scared. You'd think by now Jazz would begin to realize your will is stronger than his, but he has had a long time off, so maybe he forgot. *G*

You never know just what will freak a horse out. Their visual and aural perception of the world is just so much different than ours. That darn hatchback had its "mouth" open! Just what did you expect? *lol*

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

I meet persistent drug abusers whose visual and aural perception of the world is more normal than dear Jazz's :-)

C

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Claire said...

thanks caroline - are you sure i won't tip off the front? LOL

 
At 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well if she drops a shoulder you'll be in trouble :-)

The key point is her shoulders must be "up" and feeling as if she is about to walk FORWARDS before you start. Once you've flet it once, it's easy, but it's so difficult to describe in words.

Good luck

C.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home