It wasn't very exciting!
Well I actually found riding Jazz a bit frustrating and not the total pleasure that I had expected from being on his back again. Why? Well, he is so obviously fit and well and raring to do more. He couldn't have been any happier about being back under saddle. Six weeks off and you would hardly have noticed. He was, perhaps, a bit less sharp to understand my instructions, but we did half an hour of walk circles and lateral work of a really good standard. I did one circuit at trot on a loose rein and I cannot hear him breathe at all. That's not normal, so something has definitely changed. Now I have to be patient, stay in mostly walk for a week until we trot and wait for a couple of weeks until we can try a canter. While I'm sure his legs are up to it (look what he did in the field!!) his back hasn't carried me for so long and all his muscles must be out of practice. Tomorrow we will go out for a walk if he has been unaffected by today and build up the time we are working.
Talking of fields, the electric fence is down and will not now be going back up no matter what they do. He did himself no harm with what he did a week ago. He didn't cough once today, not once (and I had been told that tied back horses often cough at the start of their work, for ever more). So whatever he stressed has had a week to produce an even stronger repair. If he gallops now, let him!
Zippy was fantastic. There was I, hacking out down the road thinking "you're a bit jumpy today" when I realised the magnitude of what he was doing - a 3 year old broken only 6 months, out on his own, after a break of not being ridden for a whole week! How many highly bred, twitchy 3 year olds could you even think of doing that on? We had a lovely 35 minute hack when he produced some stupendous lengthened trot going up a slight hill - it was so long that it was a problem to judge the rythmn to stay with it. Jazz's trot is all power and upwards off the floor. Zip's is all forwards and ground devouring. So different and both so thrilling.
It's great to be back to normal!
C

6 Comments:
Welocme back Caroline ^-^
So remember ONE walk at the walk ...
Zip is very good indeed.
Glad you are back ... we are going to get some action ;-)
hope you had a good holiday.
and there's nothing wrong with 0600 (mind, it was much nicer back when I could ride Queenie along the Derwent Walk before work, a good few years ago now....)
A week at walk. Yes Muriel. Of course Muriel. I'll do just what you tell me Muriel - but it's SO DIFFICULT !!!
Great hols thanks Claire. Can't say I share your enthusiasm for 6 o'clock in the morning. It's a time I haven't been awake for since I can't remember when :-)
C
HELLO did you have a nice time then or have I miss summat???
Im just giggling thinking of your disgust at having to walk for one whole week:)))
...Polo is of the same opinion at the minute.
The way you described their trot is so like Ali and Polo.I much prefer Polo's trot on a hack cos I feel like im getting somewhere and that sensation of power gives me a buzz but AliG's is fab for school work and its so easy to sit to (ive only tried this for one or two strides every now and again so dont kill me).
AliG's canter is in a different league to Polo's though!
Aye the Derwent is brill Claire!
Welcome back to the saddle!
You will eventually tell us at least a bit about the holiday?
It will be frustrating getting Jazz back into riding shape, but with Zip being such a darling, I think you can just about manage.
Glad to know Jazz is not coughing. That was a worry when you left. I've been thinking of it often myself, so this is really good news.
We had a lovely time thankyou. I just didn't want to upset too many people by saying that the Yorkshire Moors aren't a patch on the Peak Park :-)))) Sorry, I'll go and hide now!
I thik Superhubby appreciated a totally horse-free week. But he's terribly excited about getting Jazz back into training!
Nicola I don't have any problem with the idea of sitting on a horse of any age. Just because you rise doesn't take your weight away, and I beleive there's a good argument that the intermittent feel of a rising trot is actually more difficult for a young horse than a sitting one. Of course, you have to sit light and not drive!
Yup, no coughing at all Jean, today either.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home