Staple diet
I took six of the staples out today. They aren't "due" out until Tuesday, but it is perfectly clear that the wound is totally healed. It's so healed that the first scabby bit of skin is peeling off the top in a long thin line, leaving beautiful new pink stuff underneath. The ends of the cut, particularly one end, were less deep than the rest, so I've taken four out of one end and two out of the other. I think it's a good idea to do it in bits, but of course when you get the vet to come out and do it they all have to come out at once. It's certainly looking good, and so is he.
I took him out into the field to pick at grass this morning, and he behaved perfectly - but I could feel him building excitement about being in such a big open space. Better to be safe than sorry, I thought, and took him out onto the road to eat the grass verges. I had to shake the lunge line at one stupid girl motorist, who was about to drive past us without slowing down at all. When I yelled at her and waved the lunge line out towards her, she stopped completely in shock. I don't think she'd even really seen us. It wouldn't have been unsafe for her to go past at that speed unless he had jumped into the road, but who knows when a horse will do anything like that?
I've ridden Zip in the barn and he is very quiet. Quite unbelievable for a baby whose had his world turned upside down over the last two weeks. He didn't want to go forwards and work, which was interesting, but he did what he was told inspite of SH angle-grinding paving slabs to cut them to shape just outside the end of the barn :-0 His character is now developing and it's clear that he's going to be a tail-flasher and a tooth-grinder when he's not happy! I'd much prefer him to give obvious signals like that than simply to do bad work. At least you know what's going on.
We really can't fault the behaviour of either of them, can we?
C

6 Comments:
Before long Jazzz will be back out in the field enjoying himself. Meanwhile he is being a really good boy keeping himself under control. I must be hard for him.
Had my own close encounter with a minibike yesterday. Of course it's illegal for them to be in the park, but that doesn't stop them. Fortunately, like your woman driver, he saw us at the last minute and put on the brakes. Scary, regardless.
Zip is a Tucker clone. Tuck swishes his tail too. Maybe when horses are super bright they figure the more subtle signals are communication enough, as we should be able to understand them quite clearly. *G*
Those bikers can be scary can't htey Jean. We get trials bikes around here, off-roading.
C
Things sound good hope they keep up the good work!
Some people are idiots.I often wonder whats going on in their head,do they really want over half a ton on their car bonnet!
Ive had so many people do crazy things on the road hence Polo sitting on a car and now being a bit traffic shy.The annoying thing is if they slow down he's fine but you just cant trust the drivers to do this even when you ask so I dont do huge amounts of road work with him now.
AliG's a tail swisher too:)
"what's going on in their head"
Urrrrmmmmmmm - nothing?
:-)
What good boys :).
How big is your barn that you are able to ride in it?
Oh- and I replied to you comment in my barefoot blog, I don't check it that often lol.
It's only 90 feet long and 36 feet wide Anna, it was a lambing shed when our house was a farm. But it's just big enough to do some decent work in, though obviously I don't trot Zip much in there and I don't canter any horse much in there, it's too hard on the joints. I expect it contributed to Tetley's hock problems, he is such a big horse. But it is such a bonus for me, living in a very exposed place. I'd hardly ride in the winter without it.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home