Update at 9pm
UPDATE
The update tonight, 9pm, is that Jazz is a bit sad and a bit desperate for reassurance and attention. When I go out to the barn, he is following me around just begging for a cuddle. I think while he was in the hospital he was in "fight or flight" mode, so he seemed very bright. Now he knows he is safe at home he is wanting to be hugged all the time. His eyes are bright and he seems well, just unusually "needy" emotionally, if you know what I mean.
He isn't keen to eat haylage at all, it must be too rough on his throat I guess. But he has eaten a decent size tea with his drugs in and he seemed not to have much problem with it. The other thing I have noticed about him for the last two days is that he has been desperate for either salt or some other mineral. He was licking the door and the walls in the hospital, and at home he even licked my boots where they sit on the side of the horse when I ride! I have him on a mineral supplement which I hope will settle his system down in a day or so. I might get him some live yoghurt too, since he's on antibiotics.
C

7 Comments:
I wonder if he's a bit dehydrated?
He probably is more relaxed at home, I'm sure there will be plenty of cuddles coming his way. The yoghurt is a good idea since he's had to fast befoer an anaesthic anyway.
The recovery time seems really quick, thats pretty good, I hadn't realised at first that it would involve two procedures.
He's drinking loads and has been since the general, so I'm guessing that's to flush the anaesthetic toxins out of his body, and with that he's also flushing salts and needs them replenished.
The recovery time is great, isn't it? I'm really thrilled that it's a serious prospect to have him hunting fit by Christmas. I had thought I might lose the whole winter and now I have an objective to work towards to get through the dank winter days.
The schedule I have been given is ten weeks from operation to some solid work, and other people have told me they were 4 and a half months from operation to gallop with an open-throat hobday.
I think the laser hobday is fantastic. Apparently there are only 3 places in the country that do it. Cheshire,with the equine surgeon that my vet practice retains, Newmarket and Edinburgh. I'd recommend my vet practice above any place that can only offer the hole-in-the-throat.
The first bit of the operation was to tie the paralysed part of his throat back out of the way with "fishing line". The second part was, quite literally, to burn away parts of his throat which "flutter in the breeze" as he breathes and create turbulence that stops him getting air smoothly down the windpipe. Apparently it smells like bacon cooking when they do it!! he must have one hell of a sore throat right now though, the poor lad :-(
I'm looking forward to making it up to him for being so nasty to him. A pick at some grass tomorrow morning I think :-)
C
Quick sigh of releif here and then back to bed. Recovering from migraine. Will post more tomorrow.
Please add several BIG hugs from his "Aunt Jean" in the USA. Maybe some overseas vibes will add some salt to the wound in a good way.
Good news!!!
I hope he will be well soon.
Yes he must have a hell of sore throat. Poor Beebee. Giving lots of cuddles from me ;-)
Muriel cuddles and Auntie Jean hugs have been delivered.
C
Ah bless him its probably all been a huge shock to him and he is still a baby.
Im sure he'l bounce back in no time though,it always amazes me how quickly animals recover from surgery or injury!
He's such a control freak Nicola (wonder who he takes after? :-) that it must have been awful for him to come out of general anaesthetic and realise he'd been "done to". He's back to form this morning though!
C
Post a Comment
<< Home