Doing my sums
Jazz is impossibly well. He is looking a million dollars, contented, bright eyed and basically Monarch of all he surveys! I didn't ride Zippy today because of the rain, so I've nothing to report except that Jazz is obviously eating much greater quantities of forage, so his sore throat must be a lot better. In fact I'd say from the way he eats that it has completely gone.
I am so glad that I stayed with the veterinary surgery that could give me the laser hobday, even if I wasn't happy with the basic lack of communication. If I'd only been able to get the hole-in-the-throat hobday Jazz would now be dripping gunge all over himself and the stable door and me, and that would go on for the best part of three weeks :-%
Having time on my hands (:-), I did some sums and worked out whether, over the last 16 years, I would have been better off by insuring the horses. I came out with a sum that says I have £7,500 more money in the bank right now than I would have had if they had been insured. So that's OK then :-)
Superhubby and I are planning how to setup a small paddock. We aren't happy for them to go into the croft because it has the septic tank soakaway in it and if the ground gets very wet one of them could put their foot through the drainage duct. Some post-driving exercise is going to be on SH's agenda I think.
C

8 Comments:
he'll probably confound all vet expectations for recovery, this is really good news, hope he keeps it up. and he obviously was a good boy for the further medicine, or you would have said.
Oh he's been ace Claire. The nursing staff had to twitch him to get the stuff up his nose and I did it on my own, just by tying him up. He's such a gutso he will eat anything in his food, so he's been a total doddle so far. Except for trying to take the barn doors off, which was entirely expected and easily solved!
If I'd known it was all going to be this simply, it would have been easier to cope with!
You wait, when I go out tomorrow there will be a horse-shaped hole in the concrete wall of the barn!
C
I agree on the insurance! I think you would really just be better off putting away the money that would be spent on insurance as your own horsey savings for a rainy day. That way the money is atleast still yours if the day never comes lol.
There are so many situations where the company won't pay out and so many rules on what horses can be insured.
Unless of course the horse is worth mega bucks...
I'd bet you are better off than if you'd had the insurance. I had surgical insurance on PJ for a while. Then, I had some surgery done to remove a growth on his haunches. The insurance paid what was left over after the deductible. Fine.
The next year when I got my insurance premium bill it was raised by almost the exact amount of money they had paid for the surgery the year before! I canceled. Some deal that was!
I'd prefer not reading about a horse shaped hole in the barn but, to be frank, it wouldn't surprise me. However, I might also suspect and underground tunnel being excavated for a more subtle escape. He's having Zip carry the dirt out in secret pockets in his rug.
Somewhere, in the far reaches of your property is a rising pile of dirt which looks much like the ground beneath the barn. I'm telling you--the two of them are behaving too well not to be up to something!! *G*
No rugs on Jean, and a full body check before they come out in the morning :-) You've got me worried now though - they could be enlisting the cats to carry it out???
The insurers here are so risk averse Anna! If Jazz was insured, he would now have anything to do with his airway excluded from the insurance (but with no reduction in fee). It really does make no sense at all moneywise unless
a) you can't trust yourself not to spend the money if you don't buy insurance with it
b) you only have one horse, or one horse worth an awful lot more than any other(s).
Once you get to two horses, if you can trust yourself to keep the money safe, it makes more sense £ for £ to "self insure". I was glad to confirm it though, having just spent an awful lot of it on having Jazz done.
C
Funny your mentioning the insurance this has been something iv debated about recently. Im now paying over £70 per month for the two and they are both vastly under insured. Ive been thinking about going just public liability &banking the rest.Think i might go for it now.. although not sure where i'd stand reducing Ali's as iv just taken his out? My big worry would be something requiring major surgery early on when i'd not built the fund up but i reckon in the long term it would pay off easily. Polo's been insured over 10years &had 1claim of £300 for dental work but he has an exclusion on his joint when i paid the ops out of my own pocket! Plus he's getting to the age when they'l start limiting what they'l pay for anyway. Wish i'd just banked the money from day one would be several thousand pounds better off.
What's always bugged me is i know people who've had masses of claims yet they pay the same premium that me!
Rant over:) anyway please Jazz is doing so well.
Nicola
Nicola if you check your house insurance policy you will probably find that you already have third party liability which covers you for the horses. If not, one of the cheapest ways to get it is to become a member of the BHS, BD, BSJA or BE. I think that the BHS is the cheapest if you don't actually want to compete with any of the others.
No no-claims-discount - it bugs me too. I have some "friends" who twice bought cheap horses that were unsound when they got them, insured them and then failed to cure them and had them shot and claimed for them. I object to paying for that in my insurance premiums!
The first couple of years is a risk, there is no doubt, and the risk in a livery stable is so much greater because you don't have complete control over what happens - like Polo and the barbed wire fence. If you were at home you wouldn't have barbed wire anywhere in reach. Still, you could spend a minimum of £940 this year on vets fees and still be better off, couldn't you? (£70x12 + at least one "excess")
C
Sorry, Amanda I meant to say I am SO sorry to hear about Bebe. That would explain a lot about feet and saddle issues would it? Poor girl, I hope that you can keep her comfortable for a good while yet.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home