Friday, September 14, 2007

All change

Zippy has had a new rider! He was very well behaved for Tam when she came to see the boys this morning. She's the first person other than Jonathan and me who has been on him. He was quiet and sweet for her. Jazz went well too. After waving her off I went to ride my friend's new horse while the one for sale was vetted. He passed, so he's already gone to his new home. The new one Harvey, who is an Intermediate Eventer, was lovely. He did give me a bit of a turn as we moved off, because he is very thin skinned and he felt the air moving in my WOW saddle and he humped his back a couple of times. Thankfully he got used to it after 100 yards or so.

While I was there I had a discussion with my vet about Jazz. I've been a bit annoyed with them and I wrote a letter to say so. I got billed £155 when I shouldn't have been and on top of that, they just aren't keeping me informed of what is going on. Honestly, you'd think if you were spending £2,500 then you'd be treated as a valued customer, wouldn't you? Instead I feel like I am being treated as a nuisance for wanting to know things like the name of the surgeon, the name of the anaesthetist and how much I am going to have to pay. Astonishingly, no-one is able to answer my questions about what I have to do with him when I get him home. They tell me the surgeon will tell me next week. That's all very well but I have another horse to worry about and things to organise!

And I'm trying to tell them how explosively violent Jazz can be and they aren't listening to me, they're just shrugging and saying "we've seen worse". I do seem to have managed to get it through to them that he must be in a box with bars, but not that he may still stand on his hind legs and attempt to break through them. Hopefully it won't happen, but I just hate it when they treat me as if I'm some over-anxious mother. I know they get plenty of those but I'm not one of them and they should know that about me by now.

They certainly aren't making a difficult situation any easier, that's for sure. On the other hand, from what I now know about the surgeon there's no doubt that I've got the top man. And the anaesthetist has a very good record of keeping them alive too, so that's something. And only the weekend to wait before we get him there.

C

4 Comments:

At 1:31 AM, Blogger Jean said...

Argh! I hate it when people don't listen. Then you get, "Wow, that horse of yours did such and such....did you know?" I keep remembering how I warned Kenny about Tucker's behavior on the trail and when he was a star in all the round pen work, they just figured going out would be a piece of cake. Well the term used to describe his madness on the first attempt was, "He just went ballistic." I coulda told them, but....

Here's hoping they have seen some really bad horses at your vets. I know that have at the big clinic near me.

Any websites with after surgery management suggestions? It might give you a heads up as to how to prepar things at home. I know after his tooth surgery, PJ had to stay in and he wasn't happy. I got some tranquilizer from the vet to keep him on during his confinement and it really helped. You might want to have some on hand.

And, of course, is he going to need special feed for a while?

The new horse sounds like fun and Zip seems to be increasing his star status every minute.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Muriel said...

Oï Caroline! Did you watch the European Eventing Championship at Roma ? WAOW very impressive !
And did you see our grass? Yep, that beige light green stuff LOL
No laminitis due to grass here ;-)

I hope you get all the details of Jazz's surgery. it is stressing enough without them making it difficult !!!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Nicola said...

That drives me mad,sometimes trying to get info out of vets is like drawing teeth.The vet I use for the dogs is fantastic he talks you through everything and treats you like you have a brain!
I always warn vets Polo has a real needle phobia but they never listen.


Eventually started a blog dont know how religious i'll be cos im doing waking nights at work for the time being and I dont know whether im coming or going!
But is here-http://nicola-minky.blogspot.com/e
Just done a bit of backround and will hopefull be able to make it a day by day log now its up and running.

 
At 6:13 PM, Blogger cptrayes said...

///treats you like you have a brain!///

That's all I'm asking for :-(

I think that the food is just normal Jean, only from the floor and dust free. I'll be asking the surgeon on Tuesday, but how ridiculous that my own vet can't tell me, eh?


Muriel I don't have Sky so I don't get the international horse sport. I would have loved to have seen it and seen how different it was from what I saw last week.

C

 

Post a Comment

<< Home