Thursday, September 06, 2007

He's a sweetie pie

I rode Zip on the arena today. I haven't been on him for what, three days? I got on and he stood rock still until he was asked to move. We did some walk, some trot circles (getting better - amost a circle now :-) and then I asked with the leg and a click together for a canter transition on each rein. He did five or six strides of canter and then came back to a trot. What a sweetheart!

Jazz is well, but I don't feel any urge to ride him so he's had another day's holiday.

Riding my friend's horse Rocky was interesting. I found him a bit one-sided, with the walk and trot worse to the right and the canter worse to the left. Odd that, walk and canter usually go together. I was great fun giving him a whizz though, having had one too young and one without enough breath to do it, I had forgotten what a clipping canter around 60 acres of grass was like :-)

C

8 Comments:

At 9:44 PM, Blogger Claire said...

make a good change for you - and no doubt you'll try and straighten him up as well!!!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Jean said...

That sounds like fun! I have forgotten what a good canter feels like too what with potentially hysterical Thoroughbred in hand and spooky Toby at the side. Maybe Chance will gallop on without incident.

Good boy, Zip. He knows which side his bread is buttered on.

 
At 2:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yep i miss the good canter thing too....my 5 y/o isn't up to it either (not enough breath - but for different reasons). sigh

i didn't reply on the Scooby update post, but how wonderful to be sent photos & video!!!! must make you feel really good. there definitely is an art to seeing something in a gangly youngster, and turning them into a success :)
Trish

 
At 2:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps - don't know how you check up on additional comments here.....to backtrack: ZIPPY IS AWESOME!!! funny photos too LOL

 
At 8:34 AM, Blogger Funky MeerKAT said...

What a good boy in the arena :). Lola is like that too, walk and trot is better to the right, canter is better to the left, it is odd.

I know what you mean about having a good canter! After riding and schooling all the young ones all I want to do is get on Mate and go for a gallop..

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get emailed with every comment made, no matter how old the original posting was, so I never miss anything.

Claire he's for sale, so I won't be messing around with him. He looks a very attractive picture from the floor and we don't want to spoil any of that :-)

Jean, Anna, yes I'd forgotten what fun it was to ride a horse that just wanted to run :-))))

Trish I checked your blog and I'm so sorry that LB has COPD, it's a terribly difficult disease to manage. Have you ever heard of the possible link between worms and COPD/asthma. It appears that a worm burden can give the immune system something else to fight than itself, and improve it. It just might be worth skipping a wormer or two and see what happens, there wouldn't be much risk just in a few months, I wouldn't have thought?


C

 
At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must admit even though Polo aint easy to ride and Alig is being a dream im really deperate to get back on Polo.YO looked at me like i was mad when I said that today..I know it just a case of cos I cant ride him I want to!
Polo is pure power and always wants to go faster which is fab to hack out on cos you dont have to use much leg:)))(well thats when he's not spooking like a coward)

He had his abcess lanced Wed ..it was gross,lots of blood and what I can only describe as cottage cheese!;0
Vet came back to flush it out again today and is really pleased with it ..no way we can get near him to do it unless he's sedated.Hopefully by next weekend he be back in action.
Alig has had some traffic exposure this week and seems totally unfazed to the point of 'I aint moving over..go round me'!;)))
Boy have I got two totally opposite ends of the spectrum.

Nicola

 
At 12:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Have you ever heard of the possible link between worms and COPD/asthma. It appears that a worm burden can give the immune system something else to fight than itself, and improve it. It just might be worth skipping a wormer or two and see what happens"

now THAT is interesting! dunno if the YO will go for it though....their policy is deworming every other month, for every horse on the property. but it can't hurt to ask!

off to research.....thanks for the input!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home