Jazz is tired, I'm tired.
I am dog tired since Tetley went for some reason and I haven't ridden today. I was in court this afternoon so that's half an excuse.
Jazz is clearly affected by being out full time, or the disappearance of Tetley, or suddenly having all the responsibility of being the oldest and biggest horse, or all of them. It suddenly occurred to me today that this will be the first time in his life that he is "most responsible horse" in the herd, and surely that must be stressful for him? He fell sound asleep in the stable this morning when I left him in for a couple of hours.
We are trying another showjumping session tomorrow and we'll see if he has recovered any enthusiasm for it. I have to confess to feeling frustrated by how long he is taking to get to grips with it compared to other horses I have taught. I was warned these Dutch horses are slow to grow up, and people who say it aren't wrong!
Mary Lou rode Tetley yesterday and reported him to have been on his toes. Since he is on 6 kilos of conditioning cubes a day I'm not surprised :-) She sent me an email this morning saying she felt well enough to go today as well, so I'm waiting for a report on how it went.
I have just been speaking to Tia's owners, who say that they absolutely love her, and that the three girls are fighting over who gets to ride her because she is so kind and quiet. I think she probably has a home for life there!
I'm off for a snooze!
C

7 Comments:
Emotional stress can be debilitating. You need to rest so you don't get physically sick on top of things. Take your vitamins and eat well. Drink lots of water.
Jazz may find being the "big boy" is a big job. I did certainly notice that Chance gets tired very fast when I work him. I have never had this before with the Thoroughbreds, so it could well be that it is common to full warmbloods. It is a new experience for me too.
If Tucker was wound up, lunging would accomplish nothing in settling him down. With Chance, he practically falls asleep in short order.
You may have to approach all your training and conditioning with a new technique. I will be experimenting right along with you.
Yesterday I realized that Caroline and I shared some food at the pub on Friday evening, then I come down with the flu Saturday evening. So I think that Caroline has a mild case of what I have. Not to downplay the emotion but to enhance it! Cough, cough...
I rode today and Tetley was wound up, fun but maybe too wound up to relax and gain the weight he needs to so we are, via email, tinkering with his feed. On Saturday Caroline showed me his walk/canter transition. My, oh my, is it fun and successful!
is holly going to do anything with her blog, though? nicely set up, profile - no content!!!!!
and as for jazz - if you're all knackered, it makes more sense to take a week for you all to get energy levels back than try showjumping when you're both - or even one of you - are wrong. that is a recipe for not good things, as you know..
Vitamins and coliver oil and glucosamine Jean :-) I rattle when I go to bed at night :-)
I've had a fair few non-tbs, and in fact Tetley is warmblood. But I've never had one like this!!
I'm just veeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyy tired ML, no coughs or sneezes (yet) thank goodness. I'll blam e you if I get them later :-) I LOVE walk to canter. I think it's a fabulous exercise for strengthening, suppling, forwardness, obedience ..... And canter to walk is a cute trick too!
Claire I think Holly is too busy riding (no 1 priority) and GCSE's (definitely second!)
Oh, meant to mention, taking colostrum is a good way to build up your immune system. I comes in capsules.
Walk canter is easier than canter walk. Tucker keeps falling on his forehand, but the other day I found out that if I say "walk," he gets it 4 out of 5 times! Guess all the groundwork and longlining does pay off!
We need the canter walk canter transition to move up to the next level in competition.
Regardless, I love the transitions between gaits as a way of engaging the hind end and making them light.
Colostrum! From what???? A sheep? A cow? A horse. Please please please don't tell me it's from a human!!!
C
Bovine! Here in the US, one of the leading distributors is Symbiotics and it's called "New Life Colostrum." Good stuff, honest. Helps boost your immune system.
Post a Comment
<< Home