Spare me from 5 year olds in spring!
I have just spent 2 hours with Jazz in the barn. Well, to tell the truth Jazz has just spent two hours in the barn. Much of that time was spent waiting for me to come back again from one of the many occasions when I got off and went and did something else (rather than beat the **** out of him :-)
He was just so obstructive and obnoxious today, just trying to avoid being told what to do. He would not stand still and was swinging his backside all over the place in halt. I got that after persisting, and also then some lovely lateral work and a couple of terrific turns on the forehand. So then he got a free walk on a long rein. We'd only done fifteen or twenty minutes so I tried for some walk/trot transitions. Nope. He wasn't listening in the walk, so the trot aid came as a total surprise every time. He either ignored them, or then when I did a ponyclub boot, he over-reacted and wouldn't settle back to walk again. He locked up and went as rigid as a girder.
He has a real issue with the expectation that HE should listen for ME to tell him what I want him to do next. He just switches off and ambles around in his own little world, and then he's surprised and annoyed when you interrupt him to tell him you want something else. I stopped and got off several times. I got a cup of tea. I made tonight's sausage risotto. I went and cleaned up the yard a bit.
Finally, he realised that he wasn't going to get out of there until he did it. And he did it. As perfect walk/trot/walk transitions as a five year old can do. No forcing, no cajoling, no kicking -though I had by this time put on spurs to give me an option between a squeeze and a boot in the ribs ;-0 I hardly needed to touch him with them, he responded very well without any overreaction.
Spare me from 5 year olds! He turned five on Saturday and you could practically sense him doing the Harry Enfield "boy of twelve turns thirteen at midnight" thing. That and the spring grass - disastrous combination. I wonder WHAT will happen on the farm ride tomorrow :-0
Tetley has a neck coming back - the muscle in the top half has begun to develop and balance the bottom, making him look less ewe necked. This day on day off regime seems to be working really well. The vet didn't give me quite enough bute so I am also turn and turn abouting that as well, to give him some for the journey and the day after. It seems to be OK.
C

4 Comments:
Well this is to give you some moral support! Just how annoying can some horses be, but these turn out to be the best ones in the end - it is getting them to co-operate with you rather than try to think up new diversions. On the one hand you want to give them masses of work to give them something to think about, but at the same time you don't want to overface them with anything, nor do anything too tiring that would demoralise them.
Well if it was too easy it would be boring for you!
Best wishes.
Judith
Judith
Ah, five, I remember it well. Then again, Jazz hasn't yet walked into a tree the way Toby did when his mind was wandering one day. *G*
Please, still do not discount muscular soreness as a partial explanation as it certainly did make training PJ an erratic experience.
On the other hand, being five is a pretty good excuse all its own.
The going off and leaving them alone is always an interesting technique. Usually, when I get back, lonesome horse really does want me to pay attention to him.
The farm ride will no doubt be an adventure. I am waiting with bated breath to read the account.
Yep I reckon 5 is the equivilant to kevin the teenager...think i'd have lost it by that point!
Dont worry im sure he'll grow out of it...certain Polo's riggish tendancies have made him less straight forward.
//// I made tonight's sausage risotto.////
Wow must have been bad..you cooking dinner!!!:0:0;)
Nicola
Thank you all for the support, I need it for the next few months!! Judith Judith :-) - yes, the balance between too much and too little challenge ..... :-)
Nicola - cheeky cow - you're right though, it's bad when cooking is a better option than riding :-)
Jean I think he's just "five". The work when it happens is stunningly flexible and free and balanced and rythmic and suspended and ...... :-) He'll be stiff tomorrow though, see today's blog :-)
C
Post a Comment
<< Home