Bradwall here we come!
Well, what a successful morning. So much hung on it, after his behaviour of the last two days. I had begun to think in terms of writing off affiliated eventing for this year, unless I bought another horse! So I was a bundle of nerves and got really cross with his incessant pawing in the lorry. He has already practically destroyed one of his front travel boots, since mid January (what - four journeys or five?) and they are the toughest set that you can buy!!! In the end I got a rope and hobbled him (tied his front legs together). That worked a treat, he went quiet and started to eat his haynet instead of faffing about. I'll do it again next time. Honestly, he looks like a trussed up turkey when he travels now and if I read about someone doing that to a horse I'd be pretty horrified. But the thing is, when he has the ropes on, he behaves like an angel. He doesn't fight them, even the hobbles. He just gives in and travels really sweetly. He loaded today with no chifney and no whip, too.
Superhubby agreed to walk the first loop of the ride with me because of my nerves. Jazz set off well going away from the stable yard but he refused at the first fence - tyres. Superhubby told me to be more confident when I put him at it again, and this time he did a lovely jump. We did a couple more fences and then Superhubby stopped me and said "He is clearly taking all his confidence from you. You MUST ride strongly and give him the confidence that he can jump these fences, because you know that he has all the ability he needs to do them." That in turn gave me the confidence to really ride positively at the fences and from that point on Jazz was marvellous.
He hardly stopped at another thing. He ran out at a fence alongside a field so full of cows it was overflowing with them. I'll forgive him that one. And again at a tyres set into a pallisade base. (not small by any means). But he did them both second time of asking. I developed a technique of sending him strongly on without losing my steering, and found that he can easily still jump from a fairly short contact - showjumping basically. He also walked through a stream and crossed horrible hollow sounding wooden bridge with no side rails on it with not a second thought. He seemed to be really enjoying himself. His canter is fantastic and his breathing is getting better as he gets fitter.
I currently have him jumping in a pelham with roundings and a curb chain covered with thick rubber. He is settling well in that and I can just about control him. I don't by any means rule out having to go to a bare chain for cross country in the future - he took on several fences with an enthusiasm that made me think I may well need more brakes when he is more experienced and fit!!
So, I can't see any reason not to fill in the entry form for Bradwall. It's one of the smaller Intro courses, with a maximum height on the cross country of 2ft 11 and he is already jumping that with five weeks training time still to go. The plan now is to school over the cross country training course on Monday to give him something new to think about. We think if he does the farm ride again he will either sail round totally confident or use his familiarity with it to start to be stupid (just like he hacked out several times quietly before starting to make a fuss and nap for home). Neither will progress his training, so we'll change the venue. Then if that goes well, on Thursday next week a showjumping session to see if the newfound confidence in his ability to jump fences of decent height and width is going to transfer to the showjumping course. Then we have another month to fine tune, do a couple of combined training competitions that my riding club has organised (dressage and showjumping) and if all goes well there, on to Bradwall for our first outing as "Majistralis".
C

3 Comments:
For some reason, reading your post had me all choked up--to tears. Now, whether I am in some sort of highly emotional state today or whether the enormity of what you have managed to accomplish and my sheer joy at your success is at work, I will never know. Either way, as I wipe a tear from my eye, congratulations.
Jazz is an ever unwinding labryinth of puzzles and you seem to have been unraveling them one at a time. And how perceptive of Allan to recognize what the pair of you needed at the jumps. Over time, Jazz should develop his own confidence to add to yours, but for now, if you have the courage to give him the security, you are well on your way.
Cows and tires would have put my Russell R, the cross country star into a tizzy, and the tires would not have been the prime "moooover." He was really scared of cows. Don't know why, but fortunately, we never met any cross country. *G*
i think you'll have more trouble wiht the dressage.
and talkin of cows reminds me of the dressage set up at Ivesely HT. the Judge is always parked facing away from a dry stone wall .. and there are ALWAYS cows peering over it to see what's going on. You can see where that's going can't you ... and I never could understand why people didn't get their horses used to it before they went, the same people go most years and you think they'd know and get some practice in...
Ya big old softie Jean, it was only a cross country ride :-)
Allan is a great "systems" man - he analyses the whole system, me and the horse, and tells me what he thinks is going on. I have more success with his training (and he doesn't even ride) than with anyone else.
Well pretty much all I have to do with the dressage is not leave the ring more than 3 times. I think we can manage that. I don't give a damn what the score is as long as we don't get eliminated. He seems happy enough in a dressage ring if there are others in rings around him, and there always are at events and the warm-up is almost always in sight of the arena. Hopefully, he'll be OK, we'll find out on April 15th when we do the Riding Club one under similar conditions.
C
Post a Comment
<< Home