All swell
Some friends have just left after seeing Tetley (looking grrrrrreat today) and being introduced for the first time to Zip. They love Jazz already and they were mightily impressed with Zip. He is beginning to look like the horse he will be when he's fully grown and I have to say he gets more impressive by the week. And the movement, if anything, is getting bigger than ever. His cut is definitely healing now and the filling is all bruise and not infection. He is perfectly sound on it, which is a relief.
Tetley tried to canter and to piaffe as evasions from working up and over his back, so he is feeling well! The bute has worked, even though it is only one sachet, a tiny dose for a horse of his size. He wasn't quite sound when run round loose to start with, but enormously better than yesterday and he felt sound to trot later on. We worked on walk/trot transitions today which really got him using himself. I plan to hack him out a bit for variety if he comes completely sound after a few days on the bute.
Jazz and I went for a hack and he has grown up enormously since doing the farm ride. There were no serious resistances at all. No sudden stops, no trying to turn for home. No stupid reactions to vehicles. In fact, he was lovely. We trotted up some hills and the trot was A-MAY-ZING. So balanced, so elevated, so forward - stunning :-))))
If the weather is good tomorrow morning before the lorry is due in for its pre-MOT work, then I may sneak in another farm ride trip in the morning. I haven't told SH that yet though, I'll pick my moment!
C

6 Comments:
very good news about jazz ....and good news about zip's cut.
you may or may not see me this week; client is not being allowed day off work so i have to work on that tomorrow ...
Bute can be pretty amazing for horses. Too bad it's so dangerous for people. I understand it's one good painkiller--but the kind that can kill you. It's always interesting to me how one medication can be OK for one species and not another.
What a good boy Jazz is! One trip out into the world and he is already growing up. There'll be no stopping him now. Hope you do get to the farm ride, but don't stretch SH's good graces too far. *G*
Zip is going to be one special boy. Glad to hear the cut is improving so quickly. He should be fine.
we'll see you if we see you Claire! Try not to make it Tuesday, I'm in court.
Jean I was told that Bute is great for most arthritis sufferers but it has an unfortunate side effect of killing a percentage of humans who take it :-0. The one that really gets me is Ivermectin, the wormer. It is fatal for collies. No other breed of dog - poodles and labradors can eat it - but it kills collies! Now THAT's odd!
C.
Apparently bute causes a fatal anemia in humans after even one dose.
Ivermectin is interesting. It triggers the autoimmune system somehow. When my horses had a cough that tested as an allergy like heaves, we treated it with ivermectin and it went away. They have used it to treat AIDS patients and are experimenting with it to treat other immune system diseases.
I read about the collie thing. I wonder what is differnt about a collie as opposed to other dogs. And, is it all collies, like border collies as well? Gotta look that up.
Robins been on bute since November now and it (along with Forever Freedom - wonder juice at the moment) works wonders.
Keeps him mobile and able to do all the fun stuff that makes life worth while.
People get so bogged down in the whole 'Bute is Bad' debate but I have a very bad back and take painkillers every day, if I didn't then i'd not be able to ride or do all the other stuff I love, so where's the difference?...if that makes sense.
All collies I think Jean.
Is Robin the one with suspensory desmitis? I absolutely agree that you have to do whatever is necessary to keep him comfortable. Tetley is lucky in that he is sound on flat ground, so he won't need it when he's left here. Also lucky that I can afford to have bought another horse, and let him go. I'm sure it will give him a longer life to be off these hills, but if he needs to go on bute at some stage later in life I'd have no problem with that if he does OK on it. At the moment, it's giving him a bit of a loose gut, nothing too serious but I'm keeping my eye on it. Not digesting his food is the last thing we need right now:-0!
C
Post a Comment
<< Home